DSP AND HEAD UNITS

nelpastel

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hello

I've been running the Helix DSP Mini for a while now. I'm also running a 7 years old touchscreen Pioneer AVH-X5500BT as a head unit. I'm wondering if it is possible to improve further the sound quality by replacing my head unit. I have two options:

1- Replacing by a new model touchscreen, possibly Pioneer as they are the best sounding units as far as I know

2- Replacing by a single din Hi-Fi receiver like Sony RSX-GS9, Pioneer DEX P99RS Stage 4 Reference Series, Pioneer DEH-P880PRS, or maybe an Eclipse or Clarion.

Many of the features that come with those head units are already included in the DSP Mini, like time alignment and 31 bands equalizer. So the question is: do you think it is worth to replace my head unit ? Which one would you recommend in order to improve sound quality ?

I have attached Pioneer DEX P99RS specs

thanks

Attachments

• DEX-P99RS - Stage 4 Reference Series CD Receiver.pdf
    561.2 KB · Views: 335
The only way to increase sound quality from the media source would be building a pc for your car and purchasing a standalone sound card that handles all the audio processing. The sony Headunit already manage that though at a premium.
More importantly though is a decent active amplified stage setup.

buy another DSP that can manage staging for you, audiocontrol or jlaudio twk88 or alpines DSP are all good
get creative with midbass and midrange setup to heighten to studio-like sound quality.

The only limitation is the Bluetooth generation (1-5) connected to your phones, or other media streaming device, compatible with the Headunit. Newer generation supports higher bitrates with the new codec implementation of that generation.

Last edited:
Honestly, why even have a head unit. You could use a stand alone music player like a high end FiiO and run it right to the DSP. But if you must... I'd also do the Sony. Hi-end DAC, plenty of file type playback option. Updating your head unit from your current one is going to open up the to the ability to play Flac and DSD files as well as other file types.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.