DSO Nano help...

Participant count
  • Participant list

OmegaBunny
10+ year member

I have a DSO Nano O-scope that I bought about a year ago and I am going to set my gains with it tomorrow, well check my gain setting ability (by ear). The manual on this thing is definitely lacking to say the least.

For those who have used one of these before what should the settings on the screen look like?

It looks exactly like this one...

DS0201dsonano1.jpg

My questions are...

1) What should the horizontal sensitivity be? 1v/div, 10v/div?

2) What about the vertical sensitivity? 10uS/Div, 100uS/div?

3) To use the O-Scope do I simply hook up the positive probe to the positive terminal, negative probe to the negative terminal, set the volume, play the test tone, and set the gains?

Thanks

***Note, I searched but couldn't find the answers***

Also, note that I normally set my gains by ear and plan to do this, but then I want to check to see how accurate I am //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I have a DSO Nano O-scope that I bought about a year ago and I am going to set my gains with it tomorrow, well check my gain setting ability (by ear). The manual on this thing is definitely lacking to say the least.
For those who have used one of these before what should the settings on the screen look like?

My questions are...

1) What should the vertical sensitivity be? 1v/div, 10v/div?
You'll want to keep the display within 5 or 6 divisions for best resolution and viewing. Use the X10 switch on the probe and set the Nano to X10 too so it displays the right numbers. Peak-to-peak voltage is 2.82 times RMS, so a 40V RMS waveform would be 112.8 V p-p. At 20V/div the scope will display just over 5 divisions.

2) What about the horizontal sensitivity? 10uS/Div, 100uS/div?
Time is 1/freq - so 50 Hz would be 20 msec (.02 sec) per cycle. Using 10msec per division would display 2 divisions per cycle.

3) To use the O-Scope do I simply hook up the positive probe to the positive terminal, negative probe to the negative terminal, set the volume, play the test tone, and set the gains?
Yep.

***Note, I searched but couldn't find the answers***

Also, note that I normally set my gains by ear and plan to do this, but then I want to check to see how accurate I am //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
You'll love it once you get the hang of it. Have fun.

You'll want to keep the display within 5 or 6 divisions for best resolution and viewing. Use the X10 switch on the probe and set the Nano to X10 too so it displays the right numbers. Peak-to-peak voltage is 2.82 times RMS, so a 40V RMS waveform would be 112.8 V p-p. At 20V/div the scope will display just over 5 divisions.

Time is 1/freq - so 50 Hz would be 20 msec (.02 sec) per cycle. Using 10msec per division would display 2 divisions per cycle.

Yep.

You'll love it once you get the hang of it. Have fun.
Thanks. I think it seems easy enough to use to set the gains and I will probably not do anything more than that with it but I wanted to make sure I was using it correctly. I think I am going to set the gains by ear then see how close I was with the O-Scope. I have never blown a woofer yet but I want to see if my ears allow me to get it close or if I am under powering or soft clipping/clipping.

Thanks. I think it seems easy enough to use to set the gains and I will probably not do anything more than that with it but I wanted to make sure I was using it correctly. I think I am going to set the gains by ear then see how close I was with the O-Scope. I have never blown a woofer yet but I want to see if my ears allow me to get it close or if I am under powering or soft clipping/clipping.
My 'scope gave me some profound revelations. Like my HU clips at 65% volume and my POS amp only makes 130 watts bridged at 12V and my fancy LOC has distorted output below 50 Hz. It's a very useful device.

Yeah First thing I'll do is check the HU output to see where clipping is. I hope its about 3/4 of the volume because that's where I set it by ear and I don't want to have to go back and redo my processor and everything else lol. Oh well it'll be worth it if it is.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.