Down 4 Sound Amp Opinions.

Full bridge? I dont understand what this means. Sorry. I know what bridging an amp means, just not wht you mean by “full bridge”. Thanks

Full bridge is like comparing 240 to 120 on a house. Whereas in 120 you have the single hot lead providing power and 240 has 2 hots running at 180° out of phase.

Basically it's more space efficient but some designs suffer from noise. Some designs also suffer from heat buildup due to internal components carrying higher voltage. This amplified by compact heat sinks can create thermal issue.

But many people don't realize fullbridge is nothing new. The jl slash series, and alpine mrv lines are full bridge just different from Brazilian designs. Both of those designs sound good and jl is well known for Sq.

But most people relate full bridge to taramps, sound digital, banda, sundown sfb, and a few others. These amps are popular due to their size vs output ratio.

If I were going with a Brazilian design soundigital would get my vote

Full bridge is like comparing 240 to 120 on a house. Whereas in 120 you have the single hot lead providing power and 240 has 2 hots running at 180° out of phase.

Basically it's more space efficient but some designs suffer from noise. Some designs also suffer from heat buildup due to internal components carrying higher voltage. This amplified by compact heat sinks can create thermal issue.

But many people don't realize fullbridge is nothing new. The jl slash series, and alpine mrv lines are full bridge just different from Brazilian designs. Both of those designs sound good and jl is well known for Sq.

But most people relate full bridge to taramps, sound digital, banda, sundown sfb, and a few others. These amps are popular due to their size vs output ratio.

If I were going with a Brazilian design soundigital would get my vote
Thanks thats a great explanation!

Since I have all your attention, let me ask another watt/ wiring question… if an amp makes 50x4 at 4ohms, and 200x2 at 4 ohms bridged. If I bridge the amp, then run two sets of seperates off it, will it be sending 100 w to each corner?
I ask because why would I try to buy a 100x4 amp when I can get the same power to each corner from a bridged smaller amp.
Thank You!

Since I have all your attention, let me ask another watt/ wiring question… if an amp makes 50x4 at 4ohms, and 200x2 at 4 ohms bridged. If I bridge the amp, then run two sets of seperates off it, will it be sending 100 w to each corner?
I ask because why would I try to buy a 100x4 amp when I can get the same power to each corner from a bridged smaller amp.
Thank You!

Once you bridge it the amp can only handle 4ohm

If you parallel 2 sets to each bridged channel that would bring your ohm load to 2ohm. Assuming each set is 4ohm as would be typical.

You are better off running them individually or IMHO running the rears off the headunit and biamping or actively driving the front components.

Once you bridge it the amp can only handle 4ohm

If you parallel 2 sets to each bridged channel that would bring your ohm load to 2ohm. Assuming each set is 4ohm as would be typical.

You are better off running them individually or IMHO running the rears off the headunit and biamping or actively driving the front components.
Copy, thanks again.

Thank You!

I have only done this when I was running two Focal 6.5 midbass in the front doors. I bridged the amp to the midbass only and had a separate amp for my tweeters

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...