Double stacked 1/2'' MDF VS 3/4''

the 3/4 is stronger than two 1/2" sheets bonded with glue and screws because of the process in which it is made. if you actually did some research i wouldn't have to tell you this ****
U know he's talking MDF and not birch ply right? Because you don't make sense right now.

And what research do I need to do?
I've done both. OP asked about sandwiching 1/2" together and works just as good. Even seen many youtube vids of people doing it. Meade as well. No need for your stupid input.

Do a test if your so right then. Make a box with reg 3/4" mdf then make the same box from sandwiched 1/2" mdf. Same port, tuning, power, etc. I sincerely doubt there's gonna be any audiable difference.
lord have mercy. deny facts and assume. i'm not wasting any money i've tested plenty of theories.. if you can get 1" ply or MDF usually sold as HDF its going to be stronger than stacking two sheets. thats why i think its funny when people use 5 or 6 sheets when bracing is ten time as effective..

where is the proof? look at any bridge or weight bearing structure.. lol

im letting the OP know next time he decides to build go bigger than needed don't sweat doubling up. IE it would have been much more effective to brace than double layer.

lord have mercy. deny facts and assume. i'm not wasting any money i've tested plenty of theories.. if you can get 1" ply or MDF usually sold as HDF its going to be stronger than stacking two sheets. thats why i think its funny when people use 5 or 6 sheets when bracing is ten time as effective..
where is the proof? look at any bridge or weight bearing structure.. lol

im letting the OP know next time he decides to build go bigger than needed don't sweat doubling up. IE it would have been much more effective to brace than double layer.
You still don't get it.

In case you don't know how to read, it does say the OP already bought 1/2" mdf. So instead of wasting that sheet, he bought another sheet of 1/2" and then asked if it's ok to sandwhich the 2 which would be 1". No sense in buying 3/4" and having the 1/2" go to waste. Smart move from OP. I would have done the same.

You still don't get it.
In case you don't know how to read, it does say the OP already bought 1/2" mdf. So instead of wasting that sheet, he bought another sheet of 1/2" and then asked if it's ok to sandwhich the 2 which would be 1". No sense in buying 3/4" and having the 1/2" go to waste. Smart move from OP. I would have done the same.
Im telling him next time brace instead its much more affective.. Lol

If he already has a design for 1/2 inch, he could build box with it then add another layer of half inch after instead of laminating, then cutting, he would cut, then laminate the extra layer onto the box. Sounds complicated but it's not. Just have to adjust the size of the cuts for the second layer. I had to do this once when I upgraded to a much heavier sub. Added a layer to the existing box.

Im telling him next time brace instead its much more affective.. Lol
Are you fvcking with me?

I've never seen an enclosure made from 1/2"....that's too disasterous. Not to mention it prob wouldn't support his 40 lb. sub too well either. 1" FTW.

Are you fvcking with me?
I've never seen an enclosure made from 1/2"....that's too disasterous. Not to mention it prob wouldn't support his 40 lb. sub too well either. 1" FTW.
you are a ******* idiot my 90 pound woofer's box is made out of 3/4 hardwood red oak it's braced and DOES NOT FLEX.

by your logic bridges and cranes are weak..

Hey moron, we're talking about 1/2" not 3/4"

Jesus...someone needs to take the computer away from you so you quit talking.

Hey moron, we're talking about 1/2" not 3/4"
Jesus...someone needs to take the computer away from you so you quit talking.
1/2 in PLENTY STRONG. i have 3500 watts to a 90 pound driver with NO PROBLEM. that lil driver is fine in a properly braced 1/2 MDF box

Because idoits think alike..you dont have the resilience.

Thank god you dont do any structural work.
lol little do you know I actually make structural parts at work. Has NOTHING to do with box building tho does it? Stick to the subject please.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.