Double stacked 1/2'' MDF VS 3/4''

Zackster

Alabama
So I decided to go with double stacking 1/2'' mdf to get the full 1'' rather than single 3/4'' mdf. It ended up being about the same price as just getting the 3/4'' and I can only be better considering it's thicker right? Just wondering if anyone else has done this method? If so, how did it turn out?

Full setup:

SUB- American Bass TNT 1544

AMP- Rockford Fosgate R1200.1D

I have.

and yes to the caulking AND I used screws in between too....sandwhiching the pieces/layers together.

I would have gone with birch myself, it's lighter, even tho more $. Less sawdust than MDF. Why are you going with a 1" enclosure instead of 3/4"?

I have.
and yes to the caulking AND I used screws in between too....sandwhiching the pieces/layers together.

I would have gone with birch myself, it's lighter, even tho more $. Less sawdust than MDF. Why are you going with a 1" enclosure instead of 3/4"?
To tell you the truth, I thought I was going to be fine with 1/2'' but later realized that it wasn't going to be able to hold the weight of my TNT. So rather than trash the 1/2'' I already purchased and buy all new 3/4'', I decided to just buy a little more 1/2'' and double layer all my cuts.

To tell you the truth, I thought I was going to be fine with 1/2'' but later realized that it wasn't going to be able to hold the weight of my TNT. So rather than trash the 1/2'' I already purchased and buy all new 3/4'', I decided to just buy a little more 1/2'' and double layer all my cuts.
Oh ok. Do you have a design for that 15 already, because if you do and build it, it may not be to spec/design because of the 1/4" difference. Might have to hit up CSCStang to redesign it for ya.

it may not be to spec/design because of the 1/4" difference.
Yeah I realized that after I made the top and bottom cuts... I'm just going to make a new design based on the top any bottom I already have cut out with my dad who has some nice cad software

the 3/4 is stronger than two 1/2" sheets bonded with glue and screws because of the process in which it is made. if you actually did some research i wouldn't have to tell you this ****
And what research do I need to do?

I've done both. OP asked about sandwiching 1/2" together and works just as good. Even seen many youtube vids of people doing it. Meade as well. No need for your stupid input.

Do a test if your so right then. Make a box with reg 3/4" mdf then make the same box from sandwiched 1/2" mdf. Same port, tuning, power, etc. I sincerely doubt there's gonna be any audiable difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.