Double Din reccomendations 🙏

ecivoN

CarAudio.com Newbie
US
Novice here 🙋🏼‍♀️ hoping you could help me out with your tried and true reccomendations..this is what I'm looking for:
Touch screen, wireless Bluetooth connection, Android friendly, carplay, reads/makes calls and texts, Navigation, no CD.
Too many options is making me 🤯🤯
Looking to stay under $400
Putting it in a Audi A3 13' for reference. It does have some controls on Steering wheel.
TIA

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1581540820695.jpg
    FB_IMG_1581540820695.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 154
Last years mid range Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX is my recommendation. You can pick that up from Amazon for $420. I have the 4200NEX from a few years ago and its great (although a little slow sometimes). I've read that the slowness was resolved in the newer models.

If you really have to stay under $400 then the Kenwood DMX706S.

JMO though - Pioneer/Alpine headunits tend to have less failures than just about any other brand. FWIW I personally and a few friends haven't had great luck with Kenwood but I've heard others have. I personally would recommend spending a little more and getting the Pioneer. Stay away from JVC or other cheaper brands at your price point.

Thank you for your reply. What do you think/hear of this unit?
Sony XAV-AX5000

Last edited:
Last years mid range Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX is my recommendation. You can pick that up from Amazon for $420. I have the 4200NEX from a few years ago and its great (although a little slow sometimes). I've read that the slowness was resolved in the newer models.

If you really have to stay under $400 then the Kenwood DMX706S.

JMO though - Pioneer/Alpine headunits tend to have less failures than just about any other brand. FWIW I personally and a few friends haven't had great luck with Kenwood but I've heard others have. I personally would recommend spending a little more and getting the Pioneer. Stay away from JVC or other cheaper brands at your price point.
what type of problems/issues have you had with Kenwoods? Asking because ive been thinking of getting that exact h/u you recommended, DMX706S

what type of problems/issues have you had with Kenwoods? Asking because ive been thinking of getting that exact h/u you recommended, DMX706S
My excelon 998 single din was pretty solid but it wasn’t as user friendly as pioneer and the physical interface (buttons and knobs) just weren’t the quality or rigid feel of a pioneer or a slightly more expensive alpine.

My excelon 998 single din was pretty solid but it wasn’t as user friendly as pioneer and the physical interface (buttons and knobs) just weren’t the quality or rigid feel of a pioneer or a slightly more expensive alpine.
I totally understand what you mean. I went from a Kenwood kdc-x304(or similar, don't remember) to an Alpine Kde-148bt and the difference in sound was night and day. Im hoping the double din media player will be a lot better than the single din. I like the shallow mounting of the Kenwood DMX706S because it will be going into my truck and theres not not much room behind the unit after wiring/rca's

I totally understand what you mean. I went from a Kenwood kdc-x304(or similar, don't remember) to an Alpine Kde-148bt and the difference in sound was night and day. Im hoping the double din media player will be a lot better than the single din. I like the shallow mounting of the Kenwood DMX706S because it will be going into my truck and theres not not much room behind the unit after wiring/rca's
For shallow depth I would go pioneer. Otherwise just test your voltage on the preouts before you put your dash all back together...all the preouts.

Thank you for your reply. What do you think/hear of this unit?
Sony XAV-AX5000

I don't have experience with Sony but have heard they're pretty middle of the road. Would still take a Pioneer over a Sony.

All kinds - Button failures, FM radio failures, internal amp failures, overheating, pre-out failures. You name it I've seen it all from a Kenwood. That isn't to say some people don't have good luck with them. I've just swapped more Kenwood's for Pioneer/Alpine in the last 20 years than the other way around. All DIN sizes and Excelon models.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.