Door pods for Mazda6i07

thats questionable??//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gifand the charity bit good for you @ least you tried to help some one out

they'll get better the more you do //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Well, lets see some of your work.

Moral of the story, if you can't do it, don't knock it.

I will be the first to admit they're far from perfect, but with my amount of experience, and what I had to work with, I think they're impressive.

looks half assed at best, but I know what you charged him and I told him he wouldn't get show quality for that price.

Tweets are going to **** down there though, might as well remove them and cover the holes up. Need to get them in the sail panels and on-axis. I glassed a pair into each of my sail panels, so it can be done...

Best bet would be to cut the door up, then glass them into the actual door, not just build a pod and stick it on. It serves the purpose, but if you did it this way, then bodyworked the hell out of them and painted them with a vinyl-textured paint, they would look almost stock.

Best bet would be to cut the door up, then glass them into the actual door, not just build a pod and stick it on. It serves the purpose, but if you did it this way, then bodyworked the hell out of them and painted them with a vinyl-textured paint, they would look almost stock.
agreed....best bet now would be to remove the fabric and use some bondo to mold them onto the doors like i did in my build log for mine in my 93 Ranger....which was my first glass attempt as well.

lol. you dont know my skills and by the look of your skills i far exceed them;) ya i may have pwk design my designs but hey my craftmanship is way better than yours. if you want to compare pics ill send some;)

At least I can do fiberglass work. Hell, I can design and build boxes. Last time I checked, you were still paying $50 for a simple box design. You've got no room to talk, noob.
Kris still wants to do some work to them. The carpet wouldn't stay in place because the resin was a bit wet in some places because of all the humidity. It was difficult to get them aimed and sized right without actually having the car. For what I had available, it was the best I could do.

Plus, I damn near did it for charity.

Well, lets see some of your work.
Moral of the story, if you can't do it, don't knock it.

I will be the first to admit they're far from perfect, but with my amount of experience, and what I had to work with, I think they're impressive.
ok here are my first attempts @ glass work just the first few steps (cuz i think thats where you are shaky)
IMG00068.jpg
IMG00074.jpg
IMG00076.jpg
IMG00087.jpg
IMG00089.jpg
IMG00089.jpg
DSC00755.jpg

thats all pre bondo/filler on the door pods

glass doesnt take just the willingness to do and the basic knowledge of step 1 step 2 step3 etc... it takes patience and repitition

most ppl (most ) start glass work and 1 hr into sanding they say faq it it'll get covered or just say that's good enuff

the more you do it the better you get @ it and start to learn how to apply matterial smoother (less sanding ) and find some handy short cuts

if you bothered to read (really read ) the rest of my post i was complimenting you for attempting to help some one

but clearly it is you that needs help so do it some more and stop being soooooo d@mn defensive //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

The glasswork looks fine. Just looks like where you cut the glass with a dremel or something coulda been smoothed out. Do that, and get the carpeting to fit a bit tighter and they'll be fine

The glasswork looks fine. Just looks like where you cut the glass with a dremel or something coulda been smoothed out. Do that, and get the carpeting to fit a bit tighter and they'll be fine
thats wat i was thinking...the edges looks jacked up on the pods which makes the overall product look like chit ont he doors...if you would just take some more time to smooth out the edges were you trimmed the pods and then rewwrap them they would look 100x better.

from my understanding, cause Kris was on a super tight budget, all that was paid for really was materials and very little of his time. Im not defending anyone, but I know for the tight budget I was surprised he found anyone to do anything. Glass work gets expensive, specially with the finishing labor going into it.

I agree, they dont look the best, but hey oh well. I mean for what i paid, which was literally next to none, i think that he did alright. I mean yeah it's not going to look flawless like we usually see on the d*mn show cars but whatever, you learn from mistakes and next time he'll have a better understanding as to what to do and how to do them. So basically, i can use more mids now so the doors pods work.... I plan to refinish these sometime shouldnt be too hard to get them rounded off and smoothed out. THANKS JManPc! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Ok, check this out.

I did this job for $150, including materials.

I wasn't about to go spend even more money on bondo.

$35 for resin

$20 worth of mat

$5 for dowels/glue/MDF

$10 for carpet and adhesive

And 20+ hours worth of labor.

For that, no one can complain.

I agree good job for the price I mean the mold is there thats the hardest part I think, now he can sand it and make it look fancy if he chooses too. I need to learn to glass:)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.