Don' know what I got myself into - Help me replace stock radio

Participant count
  • Participant list

stevedawg85

So, for X-mas I bought the following radio for my wife thinking it was a simple unplug old system and plug in new system, but obviously I was wrong:

Amazon.com: Pioneer DEHX3500UI In-Dash CD/MP3/USB Car Stereo Receiver with MIXTRAX and Variable Color Illumination: Car Electronics

What additional equipment do I need to buy before I start disconnecting to stock stereo? Correct me if I'm wrong or I can use any of the stock equipment:

(2008 Toyota Matrix XR | Stock radio | no amps/speakers/etc - Just want a new interface)

single DIN

22-18 gauge butt connectors

Wire Harness (what kind, are they all the same?)

Going to need a mounting kit, Antenna adapter and wiring harness. Does the car have steering wheel controls for audio/radio?

hmm, thanks for the info. What sort of estimate am I looking at, $35ish? - And no to the steering wheel controls.
If you are doing it yourself, and the car got onstar you are looking at about 100. Did you get the parking break bypass? Can the radio fit without modifying? I hate to say it, you should've asked this last week. People here would've had you well informed before she unwrapped that gift.

I would go somewhere like sonicelectronix or if you bought online the site that you bought from and ask a rep what you need they will be able to help you. do you already have dash kit? you need the wiring harness that plugs directly into factory harnes that gets spliced into aftermarket harness. I would say Metra, scosche for that, you maybe looking at 50 bucks more in the little odds n ends. That unit does not need parking by-pass. Dont forget either butt splices, crimp caps or a good soldering tool and tape. look online for a dash removal instruction sheet or vid. I have made that mistake spent 35-45 minutes looking for 1 or 2 hidden clips/screws that i couldnt locate.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.