Does twisted speaker wire make a difference?

06dmax00camss
10+ year member

I would like to put my truck back together as I've been putting it off for 2 months now. I "completed" my system in February, but ran out of wire for the tweeters. I had some cheap wire laying around and used it to wire up them up. Well I didn't have quite enough so I had to cut it short, not being able to hide it.

Anyhow, all the panels that touch the floor have been out because I didn't want to install them, then take them back out whenever I redid the wiring.

I found some Monster Cable wire at Wal-Mart. One roll was 12 awg. 18 ft. long for $25 and another roll 16 awg. 50 ft. long for $20. Both were a twisted design. I was tempted to buy it, but I know I could get it cheaper online and plus, the 12 awg. was WAY over priced.

My question, is twisted wire better?

I'm thinking about doing my wiring all over again because for one, I don't like the color of what I have now (purple) and since I'm short on some of it, I might as well do it all over so that it will match. I know some of you will say, why, you can't see it. Well you can where it connects to the amps. I'd rather have silver, black, or blue.

I found this:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISWX12BLU1

I know its a little pricey and I"m sure that's because of the twisted design. Should I get it or just stick to the regular (non-twisted) wire?

Where's the best (cheapest) place to purchase Stinger, Kicker, Monster, etc. speaker wire? Thanks.

Just wondering as I have no clue. For some reason, I've seen audio installers get regular wire and put it at the end of a drill while someone on the other end holds it and twists it. Then I seen it online already twisted, so I figured there was some reason for this.

I don't care for twisted wire...it all bling...no real benefit other than looks.

Another thing I don't like about it is that it essentially makes it so that you need more wire to cover a given amount of distance. I like to keep wiring as short as possible to minimize any loss that takes place in the wiring and using twisted wires is just like using a non-twisted wire that is longer than it needs to be.

My 2 cents

I'm pretty sure walmart has 50ft of 14 gauge for about $12. It was only slightly smaller than the stinger hyper series 12 gauge I usually use. Well worth the $12 and the insulation was pretty nice as well.

i use regular 14-16 gauge speaker wire. only time i use the twisted is in my sub enclosures. but 12 gauge is to big for tweeters 12 is mainly for subs 14-18 is what is used for regular speakers. use 12 gauge if your crossover is up front if you want

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.