Does the PRS80 hold the SQ HU crown?

Im working on my first build, got my sub part of the build pretty much all wrapped up and just started looking into headunits.

(Sundown SCV2000D on a D2 Zv5 18 on good electrical)

Dont know too much about whats out there but from what ive resesrched the PRS80 is pretty much the go to HU because of its amazing options and good price but i figure since its such an old HU there might be other newer options. I know its big brother PRS99 is even better but i dont see myself spending that much on my HU at this point. (Maybe eventually, after i get another 18;) )

Is this the only HU though at its price range putting out options such as 16 band EQ and TI? Ive only got stock door speakers as of now but they will be upgraded soon to take full advantage of the PRS settings ( Looking at Sundowns speakers, OCD cant let mixed brands happen lol) . wanted to grab the HU first over the speakers just because i cant stand my ****** JVC HU lol.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

In terms of features theres other units that provide similar active capabilities, time alignment and 13 band eq, a lot of them are double din touchscreen and can play flac. However the audio processing chip in the 80 prs is vastly superior as its a triple burr brown DAC vs single. Which allows for better sound out of the box along with independent left and right eq adjustment. So even with 320kbps files, you can stll beat out the other units playing flac files via processing alone if both had a proper tune.

In terms of features theres other units that provide similar active capabilities, time alignment and 13 band eq, a lot of them are double din touchscreen and can play flac. However the audio processing chip in the 80 prs is vastly superior as its a triple burr brown DAC vs single. Which allows for better sound out of the box along with independent left and right eq adjustment. So even with 320kbps files, you can stll beat out the other units playing flac files via processing alone if both had a proper tune.
Are you sure it has independent left and right eq? I haven't figured that out yet. Or does it do that when auto eq?

Can't beat it for the price. BTW you are going to want more than a 2k for that sub.
Looks like ima go with the 80PRS for my headunit. Not a fan of most double dins...they still all look so corny to me. As for 2k on the Zv5...i couldnt agree more. Already feel like i need to upgrade and have only had it in for a couple weeks. Dont get me wrong it slams but i can tell the sub is just begging for more power haha

Looks like ima go with the 80PRS for my headunit. Not a fan of most double dins...they still all look so corny to me. As for 2k on the Zv5...i couldnt agree more. Already feel like i need to upgrade and have only had it in for a couple weeks. Dont get me wrong it slams but i can tell the sub is just begging for more power haha
When the sub barely moves 2 to 3 millimeters and gets that loud, people always wonder what their sub can do with gobs more power.

Are you sure it has independent left and right eq? I haven't figured that out yet. Or does it do that when auto eq?
Yeah only headunit under 1000 that has that. Onthe eq screen or speaker level screen, press and hold down the volume button and itll go to left, hold it again, itll go to right

Do not use the auto eq, its garbage. You need to manual eq for proper results. Auto eq will fk up your bass royally and end up clipping stuff or making you lose output.

When the sub barely moves 2 to 3 millimeters and gets that loud,

That means it and your box are working efficiently. Wild cone movement is typically a sign that you have failed at tuning or using HPF. Particularly with an 18. If you're not listening to whale songs most 18's will burn the coil long before you hit mechanical limits, and even if you like whale songs you should be tuned low enough that the cone is under control.

I want the Sony. If the dash kit does everything Metra says it does that's the one I'm getting
that super high end sony?

That means it and your box are working efficiently. Wild cone movement is typically a sign that you have failed at tuning or using HPF. Particularly with an 18. If you're not listening to whale songs most 18's will burn the coil long before you hit mechanical limits, and even if you like whale songs you should be tuned low enough that the cone is under control.
doesnt have to be wild cone movement. A fully pushed sub will move a decent bit even with an efficient box right at the peak frequency.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.