Does Speaker Wire Distance matter?

Participant count
  • Participant list

TheJuggla1
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Surrey BC
I keep my power wires and grounds as short as possible(Amps are basically right next to my 2nd battery) but I am installing/relocating my stereo in a recently purchased vehicle and doing a decent job all power/RCAs consealed and amps under seats. Just I can't really make that much room for my sub amp while keeping the speaker wire as short as possible.

So I am here wondering how much of a difference speaker wire length matters? Would it be ok even running it at the front of the vehicle?

Speaker wire length does matter but let's be honest. Tons of current isn't passing through it. Just try to stick to 14/12 gauge for really long runs and you'll be fine.

my amps are in the rear of my trunk, and my speakers are all up front in my kicks and apillars. 14 or 12 awg wire is just fine for those distances. i don't worry about speaker wire length - i care more about speaker location for a sound stage, amplifier location for stealth/protection/wire routing/cooling. speaker wire lengths just fall where they may.

with subs, i'll size wire based on power and the sub recommendations/terminals. usually, 10awg for subs under 600W.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.