Do I need to do any preparation for my Orion 2500D?

skinrock
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ira Twp.
I just upgraded from a Planet Audio P2250D to an Orion 2500D. I have been using 1/0 from the Yellow Top, fused at 250 amps, to a distro block with dual 150 amp fuses. Each has a 4 ga going out to each amp, the PA and Xenon x200.4.

I just bought a quad fused + ground distro block, has two 1/0 ga input/output, one has 4 fused 4 ga outputs, and the ground has 4 4 ga inputs. I have 4 150 amp fuses and 4 40 amp fuses to work with.

I currently have two 4 ga ground going into another distro block, 1/0 grounded to a nice point on the body, bare metal. No extra work at the engine level, all stock, no bigger ground or big 3 or anything like that. I believe the stock alt is 105 amps.

So I wanted to use two 4 ga power and grounds for each amp. The runs will be pretty short, something like 6-12 inches. The ground is under 12" I believe. Will I be able to run all 4 4 ga wires with 150 amp fuses? Or is this a bad move with only 1/0 fused at 250 under the hood? The xenon says it draws up to 120 amps. I have no idea what the orion pulls

Also, the headunit is an alpine 7995, 4 volt preouts I believe. Basically, I just want to know what precautions I should take before I hook it up. I read an old thread from april about a guy having some really bad luck with his. This is probably the first time I went over 2000 watts from the sub amp, let alone 2500. That's 3300 total.

And one of the comments was about people getting into these big wattage setups without knowing what they are doing. So I am asking for advice.

edit: I'm currently running knu konceptz eko kable...considering upgrading to the kolossus line.

Thinking about just buying some new wire from knu konceptz while I'm at it:

20ft Kolossus 1/0 Blue

3ft Kolossus 1/0 Silver

5ft Kolossus 4 Blue

5ft Kolossus 4 Silver

2 1/0 Set Screw Ring Terminals

you should be good, man

it's unregulated, so an alternator, your grounds, and your wiring are gonna be the most important factors in preventing dimming/voltage drop.

Nothing you can do but try it and see if you have a problem.

If you have dimming, i'd save for an alt. A battery wont help.

you should be good, man
it's unregulated, so an alternator, your grounds, and your wiring are gonna be the most important factors in preventing dimming/voltage drop.

Ya I'm sure I'll have that. I'm gonna try and go for an alt, but I've had problems finding one.

wait and see, 1st.

You may get away with your daily listening routine without dimming.

I doubt you'll have to max out the amp all the time to be pleased.

And for when you DO crank it, a little dimming's not a big deal, you're just losing a bit of power is all.

What about fuses. The xenon says to use 120, so do I need like 100 on each 4 ga, or 50-60 on each?

and does anyone know what to fuse the orion at, more specifically: what to fuse two 4 ga wires at?

I thinking of running both xenon wires off 50 amp fuses each, and both orion wires off 100 amps each. i just want to know if i have to worry about the orion at all, like is it going to die because of voltage drops?

I thinking of running both xenon wires off 50 amp fuses each, and both orion wires off 100 amps each. i just want to know if i have to worry about the orion at all, like is it going to die because of voltage drops?
It might die.

It might not. Same is true with any electronic item. Search for threads about Orion amps.

fuses can cut down on your voltage, just letting you know if you decide to use a lot of them.
not sure what else to do, I mean both amps accept dual power, and with no fuse...shouldn't I be fusing them?

you should be good, man

not true... I added an Optima Yellow top 31 in the back and now have very very little voltage drops.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.