Do I need OFC for my setup

I can also use that same welding wire and make my own Big 3 upgrade kit right? All I need are the Lugs. What else comes with the kit that I may need? Other battery Terminals?
Yes, you can use welding cable for the big 3.

I have never bought an amp or big 3 kit. The big 3 kit would probably just include lugs and a fuse for your alternator power wire.

Yes, you can use welding cable for the big 3.
I have never bought an amp or big 3 kit. The big 3 kit would probably just include lugs and a fuse for your alternator power wire.
cool. Is the Alt power wire fuse needed?

also, I have a 150 A fuse from back in 96 when i installed the first system. I see that , oh wait I think the 250 A fuse comes with the Big 3 is what u may be referring to and think that goes from Battery or between battery and the power wire running to the back of your car. But is 150 good enough for my system I'm going to go with , a total of 1800-2100 total watts?

so welding wire is fine? Only thing is it's black //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
might at least paint a foot on both ends of the wire in red //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif :)
get some red heat shrink tubing, it'll last a lot longer thank paint.

get some red heat shrink tubing, it'll last a lot longer thank paint.
Is the Alt power wire fuse needed?

also, I have a 150 A fuse from back in 96 when i installed the first system. I see that , oh wait I think the 250 A fuse comes with the Big 3 is what u may be referring to and think that goes from Battery or between battery and the power wire running to the back of your car. But is 150 good enough for my system I'm going to go with , a total of 1800-2100 total watts?

cool. Is the Alt power wire fuse needed?
Nobody will tell you not to fuse it, but I have gone without a fuse. I'll fuse it before my battery bank though

I can also use that same welding wire and make my own Big 3 upgrade kit right? All I need are the Lugs. What else comes with the kit that I may need? Other battery Terminals?
That's how I do it. Use my own wire. No big 3 kit

Nobody will tell you not to fuse it, but I have gone without a fuse. I'll fuse it before my battery bank though
fuse before the battery bank for the wire running to the rear of the car or what do you mean? I seen images where guys have both, one before the posi on battery coming from Alt, and the other fuse after the posi going to the rear of car. I mean I wonder why you would need a fuse since the setup for the posi coming from the alternator is not fused; or is it?

And actually in my original question about the fuse I was referring to the one that goes in between the 1/0 gauge thats running to the rear of car. I've had a 150 A since 96 for my 600 W system. Now that I'm going to 1800-2100 W would I need to upgrade the fuse?

fuse before the battery bank for the wire running to the rear of the car or what do you mean? I seen images where guys have both, one before the posi on battery coming from Alt, and the other fuse after the posi going to the rear of car. I mean I wonder why you would need a fuse since the setup for the posi coming from the alternator is not fused; or is it?
And actually in my original question about the fuse I was referring to the one that goes in between the 1/0 gauge thats running to the rear of car. I've had a 150 A since 96 for my 600 W system. Now that I'm going to 1800-2100 W would I need to upgrade the fuse?
Fuse between alt ant battery. Fuse after battery for run to back of car.

Everything is in the back for me.

Fuse between alt ant battery. Fuse after battery for run to back of car.
Everything is in the back for me.
lol sounds like you said in other post you have gone without a fuse then said you will fuse before battery bank. I'm guessing you meant for some time you went without one then later added one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif So in essence you have one between Alt and batt, then one after battery going to rear of car

lol sounds like you said in other post you have gone without a fuse then said you will fuse before battery bank. I'm guessing you meant for some time you went without one then later added one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif So in essence you have one between Alt and batt, then one after battery going to rear of car
I don't currently have a fuse between my alternator and battery bank. My alternator is in the back by my batteries, so I don't have a long "run" of wire that needs to be fused.

When I install my five group 49's, I will fuse between my alt and batteries.

I don't currently have a fuse between my alternator and battery bank. My alternator is in the back by my batteries, so I don't have a long "run" of wire that needs to be fused.
When I install my five group 49's, I will fuse between my alt and batteries.
gotcha. I guess I might go ahead and fuse it as there will be probably 3 3 1/2 ft of wire from alt to the battery.

Now another question in regards to some amps that I've seen have an allen screw that will secure the positive and negative wires. With 1/0 gauge wire, only way I can think of to attach that size of wire to the amp is to splice in the size of wire that will fit into those slots. Splice in the wire to the 1/0 gauge. Any other suggestions for that?

forgot about the fuse distribution block //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

always wondered though about the split in wire size and how that would affect current if any

gotcha. I guess I might go ahead and fuse it as there will be probably 3 3 1/2 ft of wire from alt to the battery.
Now another question in regards to some amps that I've seen have an allen screw that will secure the positive and negative wires. With 1/0 gauge wire, only way I can think of to attach that size of wire to the amp is to splice in the size of wire that will fit into those slots. Splice in the wire to the 1/0 gauge. Any other suggestions for that?

forgot about the fuse distribution block //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

always wondered though about the split in wire size and how that would affect current if any
Just trim a bit to fit amp inputs. Or, buy input reducers. I got input reducers for a cleaner look, but that was like $50..

Just trim a bit to fit amp inputs. Or, buy input reducers. I got input reducers for a cleaner look, but that was like $50..
yeah just see they are a little expensive. Will consider that though. Or if i just went with distro boxes would 8 gauge be fine if that's all that would fit in the amp? 8 gauge to the distro

On another note for another question i had this morning and did another thread, I appreciate the help BTW:

Hey guys I like the way my Stang sets now that my speaker box for 2 10's is out of the car and the mach box is out also so before I decide on which subs to go with ( want 2 10's more than likely), I want to know if there are any that will go in a small enclosure that can be properly tuned and in a ported box. My dimensions allowable now is around 12 H X maybe 18 deep at most X 31 W. Even if i have to pay more for that type of sub that can go in a smaller enclosure I might consider and do that. I wish i can come to grips with going with one sub and maybe I would consider one 8, 10, or 12 but probably would prefer 2 10s.

One guy said maybe Dayton H0's for 2 10s

... have some welding cable, says 1/0 on it i'm thinking its 1 gauge cause its pretty large ...
and not 1 awg lmao
You are an idiot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.