Do I need different kind of speakers for this type of music?

Participant count
  • Participant list

bi_a_op

Norway
Hold onto something because I am very weird. I love music like The Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean etc. I want my car to play this type of music perfectly on a high volume without small peakers getting "sharper" sound. Or the sub starts "clapping". There will be normal-people-music aswell, but my taste of music comes first. Is there something special I need to look for if I want this type of sound?

Car: Audi A3 1.8t 8L 1999

Budget: 3.450USD

If you want to know what music I'm talking about, look up The Gladiator - Now We Are Free and fastforward to 1:00 if you find the rest of it unbearable.

Last edited by a moderator:
start with a decent set of components for the doors and a nice amp. add a decent sub and matching amp and you should be good. Norway? I'm jealous.
And you're not far from trailing my foot steps. All you did said was "get decent this, decent that"

Anyways... but yeah what ATL said, get decent equipment.

And you're not far from trailing my foot steps. All you did said was "get decent this, decent that"Anyways... but yeah what ATL said, get decent equipment.
Until he gives me more info thats all I can really say. Besides he was asking if he needed something in particular and the answer is no. Any "decent" brand will play any type of music. Everyone has there favorite brands and money, power, space, etc are the limiting factors.

Since you've got a pretty good budget to work with, I'd say to get a good central processor, a 5 channel (some of those European high-end lines might be doable there?), and 2/3-way active setup (morel, brax, phd, brax, etc.), along with a small sealed SQish 10 (IDQ, Focal, BA), and it would probably be something you'd be pleased with. I always see links on my FB page about all these nice audio builds coming out of Scandanavia, are you in a major city?

Until he gives me more info thats all I can really say. Besides he was asking if he needed something in particular and the answer is no. Any "decent" brand will play any type of music. Everyone has there favorite brands and money, power, space, etc are the limiting factors.
That pretty much answers everything, thanks! But one question leads to another, right?

Since you've got a pretty good budget to work with, I'd say to get a good central processor, a 5 channel (some of those European high-end lines might be doable there?), and 2/3-way active setup (morel, brax, phd, brax, etc.), along with a small sealed SQish 10 (IDQ, Focal, BA), and it would probably be something you'd be pleased with. I always see links on my FB page about all these nice audio builds coming out of Scandanavia, are you in a major city?
Thanks a lot. So I'll be looking at 5-channel thingies, and after googling SQ(link removed) it seems I want an SQ, not a SPL set-up.

2x Image Dynamics IDQ V2/V3/V4, 10" or 12"? (link removed)

2x Morel MDT-44 1-1/8" Compact Soft Dome Tweeter (link removed). Here I'm really just filling the list. No idea what Morel is. Still wondering where to put them. Pillars by the windshield, or in the doors by the door handle like stock.

2x Mid-Range. According to my research, my car can only use 5.25" stock.

EDIT: Will I need miniDPS?

Accoring to the SQ guide I found, a pair of those IDQ will be a big win(?). But I'm not convinced about the tweeters that were chosen, nor will his mid-rangers fit in my car.

As for Norway, don't be jealous. My 1999 car cost 7300 USD, and insurance (which is required by law) was at 4650 USD. Skyline, 350z, Supra, modded engines, no-fabric hp over 250 is all nearly impossible to get a license plate on. Also any import car would cost you... guesstimated 500k USD to get a plate on it which you normally can't do because of the CO2 it produces! What we see on the TV is the closest we'll get. I live in Stavanger. When you turn 18 here, all you can afford is old 200.000 km driven BMW, Audi, VW and Mercedes. Not a car country.

This is what I've got so far.

Monoblock:

Mosconi GLADEN AS 200.2. 2x Bridged 10" 50-500Watt RMS.

Subwoofers:

2x Image Dynamics IDQ 10D4 V.3

Amplifier:

Mosconi GLADEN AS 200.4

Mid-Range and Tweeters

Gladen SQL 165

Still on the look for better ideas and a player ofcourse. Also if anyone could map my setup and give each cable a lable telling me it's name and dimensions that'd be awesome!

What you've got will work, I'd suggest looking for a bit larger subwoofer amp, something around 1000 watts since you're planning to run two IDQs. You can even get away with 5-600 on that pair just fine, ID's have surprising output on low power. Get you a 4 gauge amp kit, run to a distribution block, and split power to each amp if you don't want to have separate runs of power wire. Like you said, you also need a good head unit, people here seem to have a lot of love for the 80prs, which has capabilities to run active. Also, deaden your doors, that will do wonders for your front stage. There's no use in running good equipment, only to take shortcuts during the install and be left with a system that sounds inadequate.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.