Do I need a new box size for my subs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

SoundsUnlimited
10+ year member

Loudest MOFO on the ROAD!
I presently have two 12" JLW3;s in a 1.92ft3 box....They do ok..Other than they aren't quite loud enough..I wonder if I should get a different box setup..Maybe go wtih a 1.5cbft3 for each sub...The box I now have is a 1.92 sealed with no chamber dividers..I wonder if I can get more out of my subs if I get a different box setup...I have a 1995 5.0 mustang and as you know space is limited in the trunk..But any help offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Before building a new box, I'd experiment with your current one. Try stuffing it with various amounts of polyfil and maybe add a little bracing to make it rigid.

try what buster said....'stuffing' a box can "trick" the sub into acting like there is almost 20% more space than there actully is. Is the box built out of mdf? if not dont mess with it, build a new one, If it is, put a divider in there, its never a good idea to run two subs in one are space. If your still looking for a few more db's you could port it, understand that you loose versitily (smaller optimal frequency range). Good luck.

Actually there is nothing wrong with running two subs with the same airspace, there are only to real problems when doing this. 1) The box will flex more causing unwanted noises possibly, to fix this brace the inside of the box very well. 2) If one subs goes out then the other will also if this is allowed to continue, the subs that is blown will move in and out with the other sub causing it to possibly over excursion and blow. Along with this it will sound like doo-doo, cuz of all the cancelation the blown sub will create.

Yes I do need to do something to the box..I keep having problems with subs blowing or or VC popping in-two..The box is 3/4" MDF wood...But as said earlier they do sounds liek pure ass..Luckily they face away from me in the trunk broadcasting towards the rear..Which is good cause I can get the most SPl from that..But I think today I am going to go and buy two more JLw3s and go take it to a guy I know who has been doing car audio for 45 years and get him to build me a box...I went to him last week and he wasn't real satisfied with the box, nor the setup...Plus I get tired of replaing sub after sub:mad: ....But I may still chamber the box..Depending on what I decide to do...I might just say the hell with it and go buy 1 12"w7 and put 1000 watts to it, and say the hell with the w3's...But thanks for the help guys.

Blake

Originally posted by SoundsUnlimited No I've checked the box several times..It doesn't have any leaks.
we are assuming there are no leaks.....the point is there will be.....the pressure in the box will be to much for it. I have to be honest man, if you try to use that box your just a ****ing idiot....you got the warning on here, mess it up...thats your choise.

I realize that the box is ****ed up..And I AM changing it out the start of next week..But I thank you for your assistance...The other day I took my friends subs and put them in that box..They just don't seem to hit right..I think dur to the box not being chambered...But hell I'm tired of figured whats wrong with it..i got money..I'll go get a good setup.>The dicks that built the box didn't know there ass from a hole in the ground anyways..This new guys I'm taking it too...he'll set me up right

Originally posted by evo2k3 we are assuming there are no leaks.....the point is there will be.....the pressure in the box will be to much for it. I have to be honest man, if you try to use that box your just a ****ing idiot....you got the warning on here, mess it up...thats your choise.
hey I am sorry i have been dealing with another thread and talking about leaking there as well....that was not ment for you....my apologize!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.