DIY alternative to glass antennas

Participant count
  • Participant list

installerblizz

I drive a 2007 Accord that has the radio antenna embedded in the rear glass. My deck is a Pioneer 880PRS. I had horrible reception even with power going to the stock antenna booster. I read about the universal window mounted antennas but people were saying that nothing beats a good old mast antenna. Not wanting to drill holes in the body of my car, I tried to find one with a magnetic base without luck. I decided to build one. It looks a little rough now, but I'm going to paint it eventually. It's basically 31" of coat hanger straightened out and stuck in and soldered into a 20 lb pull magnet from a hardware store. I used TV coax cable to make the connection, and the shield is grounded at the antenna plug on the deck and at a bolt that helps hold the front quarter panel on. The 880 shows signal strength on a scale of 0 to 4. I couldn't pick up half the stations in my town with the factory antenna, but now every one of them is a 4! It's unreal. Anyway, thought I'd share it with you guys. If you wanted to spend more than $3 like I did, you could get a mast antenna from a junk yard instead instead of a coat hanger.

What exactly about my solution do you find improper? I wanted a mast antenna and didn't want to drill holes in my car. I don't know of any other Earth technology besides a magnet that would have allowed me to do this.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.