DISTORTION at medium to high volume level in KENWOOD KMM-BT506DAB + front

Dante1880

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello everybody,

I need help with some question I have about car audio, after paying 200 € I don't have the clear sound I spected to have, even when I'm playing FLAC 48 KHz 24 bits.

I don't know if it's related with don't having an amplifier, but I have distortion at medium to high volume level with KENWOOD KMM-BT506DAB and PIONEER TS-R1750S or PIONEER TS-A6990F (I didn't try with PIONEER TS-R1350S but I supose is same)

My system (not mounted at now, just wired) :
KENWOOD KMM-BT506DAB is 4x22 W RMS
PIONEER TS-R1750S is 40 W RMS (it seems a bit higher frequency sound)
PIONEER TS-A6990F is 120 W RMS (more natural or louder frecuency sound)
NO AMPLIFIER AT NOW, but maybe:
- PIONEER GM-DX874: 4 x 100W RMS (4Ω) , 4 x 150W RMS (2Ω) , 4 x 125W RMS (1Ω) , 2 x 300W RMS (4Ω bridge)
- PIONEER GM-D9704: 4 x 130W RMS (4Ω) , 4 x 200W RMS (2Ω) , 4 x 130W RMS (1Ω) , 2 x 400W RMS (4Ω bridge) , 2 x 260W RMS (2Ω bridge)
- PIONEER PRS-D800: 125 W RMS x 2 (14.4V, 4 Ω), 150 W RMS x 2 (14.4V, 2 Ω), 300 W RMS x 1 (14.4V, bridge 4 Ω)
- PIONEER GM-D1004: 4 x 45 W (20 kHz - 20 kHz / 4Ω), 2 x 90 W (1 kHz / 4Ω bridge), 4 x 45 W (1 kHz / 2Ω), 74 dBA (ref: 1 W into 4Ω)

Why I have distortion at medium to high volume level?

After I will upload a video if I can.

Thanks to all that could help me.

Last edited:
I have distortion at medium to high volume level
If it only sounds bad at high power then you are pushing something too hard.

If you are pushing your head unit beyond the clean output it can make you will have distortion which can be solved by adding a small amplifier.

Also with small full-range speakers if you put too much power into them (particularly low frequency) you can push them beyond their mechanical limits, this will sound bad and break them very quickly. This can be solved by using crossover to cut out some of the lowest frequencies.... at some point you may want to get a subwoofer to play those low notes if you have to use crossover on your door speakers.

I can tell English isn't your first language, I hope you understand.

If you are pushing your head unit beyond the clean output it can make you will have distortion which can be solved by adding a small amplifier.

Also with small full-range speakers if you put too much power into them (particularly low frequency) you can push them beyond their mechanical limits, this will sound bad and break them very quickly. This can be solved by using crossover to cut out some of the lowest frequencies.... at some point you may want to get a subwoofer to play those low notes if you have to use crossover on your door speakers.

Yes, thank you.

But speakers are coaxial, so would crossover be useful in this case? I think I can't separate frecuencies with this kind of speakers, but I don't know.

PIONEER TS-R1750S: 36 Hz – 31,000 Hz

PIONEER TS-A6990F: 22 Hz – 25,000 Hz

I think it shouldn't be a problem of pushing hard, because without amp my head unit is 4 x 22 RMS, and PIONEER TS-A6990F is 120 W RMS and PIONEER TS-R1750S is 40 W RMS, but I don't know, I'm newbie in car audio (previous head unit is Belson sh*t 4 x 7 RMS 17 € with OEM paper-style speakers, Rover 25)

Attachments

• ts-a6990f.jpg
    ts-a6990f.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 16
  • TS-R1750S.jpg
    TS-R1750S.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Yes, thank you.

But speakers are coaxial, so would crossover be useful in this case? I think I can't separate frecuencies with this kind of speakers, but I don't know.

No way those can play 22 hz. Some people have 15 inch subs that can't even play that. I'd say below 50 hz you will start having issues with those.

Yes, thank you.

No way those can play 22 hz. Some people have 15 inch subs that can't even play that. I'd say below 50 hz you will start having issues with those.

Well, that doesn't care, it's datasheet info, brand propaganda... but the important thing is not having distortion and having a clear sound with music (I'm not going to use it for very low frecuencies music, just "common" pop or new music...)

Can crossover solve this situation? Thank you anyway!

That Pioneer GM-D9704 is one of the best 4 channels you can get for the money and they do more then rated. I have the GM-D8604 which is the previous version and both are nice clean sounding 4 channel amplifiers. You won't be disappointed with it if you decide to go with an amplifier.

What's the difference with the previous amps I said? It seems the same thing.
Get an amplifier installed on your speakers that you have the funds for and have the room for and supply for the demand. An amplifier will help clean up your distortion issues along with the power needed to let the speakers perform much better than HU power alone. A little head room over RMS Values needed is ok of 50-100 as long as you tune properly, and will allow the amplifier to last a bit longer by running cooler and not strained all the time. A Low THD amplifier would be my choice for mids and highs. Pioneer amplifier is a good choice. Lots have had really great results in the end with that particular amplifier.

What you'll want to block out is the low frequencies. You will use "HPF/High Pass Filter" somewhere around 40-60hz should protect those speakers if they are reaching their mechanical limits.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...