Digital Processing Unit

I haven't used it, but Alpine's PXA-H800 should have an auto tune feature, plus you can manually change settings. You will need to spend a chunk of change to get one, and the RUX-C800 controller is said to be a nice add-on so you don't need to always connect a laptop to change settings.

i have the Alpine PXA-H800 and the RUX-C800. you can run auto TCR from the controller and adjust after. the controller allows access to EQ, TCR, Crossover, and input setups. I have a few videos on my YouTube channel showing the input process. It has 6 analog RCA inputs and two optical inputs. You can configure them in several ways.

with a laptop, you can run auto EQ with Imprint and adjust by changing the target curve. the cool thing about the H800 is the ability to choose any target curve. but you change the curve and re-run. when Imprint is active, EQ is not accessible. Unlike previous Imprint modules, the H800 doesn't take away bass or require trickery to maintain bass output.

The H800 also has RoadEQ which allows the mic to remain active and monitor noise to adjust EQ during driving.

Why not get a CD player that can do all of that?
Only thing that comes moderately close to the advanced features a dsp has is the 99r from pioneer and that costs a thousand. However if he just wants a simple autotune due to him having lack of tuning knowledge, then yeah most pioneer head units have it. They arent that good though. Far from it.

A head unit can never match the precision SQ capabilties that a DSP can achieve, even the 99r is not as thorough as most dsps on the market.

well i figure he was going to use the auto feature to get a baseline. Pioneer DEH-80PRS CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

unless hes competing i don't see the need for such a unit. but IDK maybe he does need that..

personally id never use any auto EQ but thats just me.

this CD player does high mid and low output with 16 band EQ for each channel along with TA for each channel. what more does he need?
I had the 80prs before. It's tune to what the MS-8 does is night and day. Where the ms-8 is holographic the 80 is smeared.

And it's not 16 bands per channel. It's left and right.

I had the 80prs before. It's tune to what the MS-8 does is night and day. Where the ms-8 is holographic the 80 is smeared.
And it's not 16 bands per channel. It's left and right.
depressing.. typical to pioneers weaksauce. i stand corrected.

back in the gap i had a pioneer-880(not the 3 way just the regular primer)i bought a kenwood x991 and the kenwood blew it away.. i didn't realize hoe bad the pioneer sounded. i never used pioneer again..

you use the new highend pioneer deck yet?

honestly though unless your competing is a 700$ dsp needed?

what excatily do you need?

a 31 band EQ is pretty much over kill. most decent CD players have decent TA tuning.

depressing.. typical to pioneers weaksauce. i stand corrected. i remember back in hte gap i had the 880(not the 3way active just the premiere. and i found a old X991 bnib for 450.. my god it was night and day. it have 3 seperatee dacs. etc.. it was the closet thing to the ****** clarion 1k deck.. guess pioneer is still somewhat subpar.

you use the new highend pioneer deck yet?

honestly though unless your competing is a 700$ dsp needed?
yes its needed if you want to spoil your ears completely and have full control over 3 way front stage + subwoofer while piecing together high quality raw drivers needing a way to properly crossover with limitless crossover options and slopes along with precise time alignment and independent parametric (selectable) EQ and Q bandwidth adjusters. The overall internal DACs are much MUCH better than any head unit can match up to so the signal is much cleaner with very low noise floor.

I'm not happy with what the 80 prs can offer tuning wise. Its very limited in comparison to a real DSP. 31 band is certainly no where near overkill. Your music and overall sound quality can always get better whether you think so or not.

yes its needed if you want to spoil your ears completely and have full control over 3 way front stage + subwoofer while piecing together high quality raw drivers needing a way to properly crossover with limitless crossover options and slopes along with precise time alignment and independent parametric (selectable) EQ and Q bandwidth adjusters. The overall internal DACs are much MUCH better than any head unit can match up to so the signal is much cleaner with very low noise floor.
I'm not happy with what the 80 prs can offer tuning wise. Its very limited in comparison to a real DSP.
im not going to get into this. DSP has its faults. various phasing issues i wont get into.

you cannot beat properly mounting and installing drivers with any DPS. but i do agree its nice to beable to tune the **** out of your system when you are **** with limited options. but if your building a three way and spending 1K on drivers you **** sure better mount the drives on axis on the same plane at the apporate height and in the correct phase in correlation to each other and the position on the driver.. you can tune all **** day and EQ all day. its always better to have -gain(use EQ to flatten out peaks and not boosting losses it adds distortion in a wide bandwidth)

any well season tuner will tell you avoid use ANY signal altering if possible and use it sparingly..

im not going to get into this. DSP has its faults. various phasing issues i wont get into. you cannot beat properly mounting and installing drivers with any DPS. but i do agree its nice to beable to tune the **** out of your system when you are **** with limited options. but if your building a three way and spending 1K on drivers you **** sure better mount the drives on axis on the same plane at the apporate height and in the correct phase in correlation to each other and the position on the driver.. you can tune all **** day and EQ all day. its always better to have -gain(use EQ to flatten out peaks and not boosting losses it adds distortion in a wide bandwidth)

any well season tuner will tell you avoid use ANY signal altering if possible and use it sparingly..
You do a build without a DSP and I'll put my off axis install with a auto against it

kmsl. im not even going to argue this. from an acoustic stand point. i dont know how much you understand on how speakers and acoustics work.

i tell you want.. at 50w on any midrange driver. measure thd without any processing and use 1bd of boost and then 3 db and see just how high the drivers THD goes up.

time alignment can work but its meant to have phase relative amoung all the drivers. it really only works when the drivers are on the same axis just when one is further then another.. it completely changes the phase of the drivers.. if your tweeter is 20 degrees off axis and your mid is 90 degress off axis yourr going to have a hell of a time getting them in phase and your most definitely going to run into comb filtering issues OR gaps in FR because your going to have to change slope and xover points because they too affect phase.. it can be done but i promise you installing the drivers correctly is far better option. TA literally uses latency to adjust phase..

if i am wrong please correct me. im always willing ot learn..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.