Diffrent approach to sound proofing

This is the whole Peal n Seal ordeal all over again. Makes a huge mess and has zero sound dampening properties other than adding mass to a panel.
Agreed.

Not only that deadener isn't really a huge ordeal both coverage and price wise so I have no idea why you would make it more complicated then it needs to be (in this example 2 layers of of a 5 gallon spray roofing material that may or may not work).
What I was thinking is gut the vehicle first layer CLD second layer closed cell foam with the tinfoil third layer silicone fourth layer Mass loaded vinyl and then put into your interior back together, I would imagine that all together that would be fairly well soundproofed. Could go one step farther and mix rubber crumbs in the silicone (read a few studies conducted on the soundproofing qualities of rubber crumb
Butyl Deadner with 25-50% coverage, closed cell foam, and then mass loaded vinyl (3 layers total).

Just finished my car 2 weeks ago, sound great (don't have to yell at the passenger now when i'm on the freeway).

I have no idea why you would make it more complicated then it needs to be

Can't speak for the OP, but there are certain situations where traditional sound deadening is less than ideal. My situation for instance, the entire inside of my roof is exposed. Sound deadening is pretty ugly, so some sort of spray on solution would be ideal.

For the record 1 I have no intention of using this in any of my vehicles. I was just speculatimg, see if anyone thought my neighbor was on to something, I figured it might be feasible at least considering how silicone is used in various÷e different applications. To dampen vibration.

For the record 1 I have no intention of using this in any of my vehicles. I was just speculatimg, see if anyone thought my neighbor was on to something, I figured it might be feasible at least considering how silicone is used in various÷e different applications. To dampen vibration.
This got me thinking of Flex Seal as another alternative and also Flex Paste. The paste is easier to apply than the roof coating, and for hard to coat areas, the Flex Seal will come in handy. But the price may negate it's value over traditional sound proofing. According to a rep. 1 pound covers 1.5 sq.ft. by 1/16", $15-$20.

Anybody who really cares should get a good RTA, take some baseline measurements of just parked and at highway speeds, then put whatever slop on the panels they think will help and re-take the RTA measurements. Then come back in a year and let us know if there's any other problems. Anything else besides testing with precision equipment is meaningless speculation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.