different type speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

Alpine2005
10+ year member

CARROZZERIA
CA
what's the diffenece between these? Mid-range, Full-range, Mid-bass, Woofer and Coaxial speakers?

Aren't Mid-range and Full-range and Coaxial speakers the same thing and aren't Mid-bass and Woofers the same thing?

Wasn't this explained in the "Speaker FAQ" at the top of the page?
For the most part //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Mid-range
Midrange is a speaker that plays only the midrange frequencies (generally ~250hz - 6000hz, give or take).

Full-range,
Full range could either be a driver such as the FR125 or Jordan JX53 in which a single speaker, with no additional tweeters or anything, creates a majority of the frequency range (~100hz up to 20khz).

-Or-

A lot of car audio companies call their co-axial speakers "full range" speakers because they have all the necessary drivers to reproduce a majority of the frequency range.

Mid-bass,
Midbass is a driver that is only used to produce the midbass frequencies; generally between ~60hz and 250-300hz or so.

Kind of a general term used to describe a mid. A woofer (or midwoofer) could either be a midbass only, or the mid used in a 2-way system (which covers both the midbass and midrange frequencies).

and Coaxial speakers?
Co-axial, as described in the FAQ sticky; is a driver that has a mid and tweeter mounted on an axis together (hence the name; co-axial)

Aren't Mid-range and Full-range and Coaxial speakers the same thing
Not really

and aren't Mid-bass and Woofers the same thing?
Kinda.

squeak went threw all that truble cuz he's the best there is

so full range speakers are like factory speaker. they're only one driver and play many frequency ranges, right?

Co-axial speakers are like my Alpine SPS-170A and Alpine SPS-690A and also Pioneer TS-A1681R speakers, right?

and for midrange speakers i don't understand. whats a good example of a midrange speaker at Crutchield?

aren't comps made up of midrange speakers and tweeters or are they made up of woofers and tweeters?

would i have to add all these different type drivers to have a really great system?

so full range speakers are like factory speaker. they're only one driver and play many frequency ranges, right?
Eh.....your factory speakers are more like co-axials than anything because they have a "whizzer" cone for the higher frequencies (which, basically replaces the tweeter).

You won't find many (if any) true full range speakers in car audio. It's more of a home audio thing (which is what both of those speakers I linked to earlier were).

But, like I said.....many car audio companies use the term "full range drivers" to just describe their co-axial speakers.

Co-axial speakers are like my Alpine SPS-170A and Alpine SPS-690A and also Pioneer TS-A1681R speakers, right?
Yup.

and for midrange speakers i don't understand. whats a good example of a midrange speaker at Crutchield?
Crutchfield doesn't really have anything. But, look here at the Boston Pro6.53 3-way component set: http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1076 See how it has two pair of drivers; a larger set (on top) and smaller set? That smaller set of drivers would be the midrange speakers. The larger set would be the midbass drivers.

Same thing here with the Focal's: http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1169 - The middle driver there is the midbass, and the smaller driver on the right is the midrange.

aren't comps made up of midrange speakers and tweeters or are they made up of woofers and tweeters?
Depends. In a 2-way component setup, there is just a midwoofer (sometimes just called a "mid" because it covers both the midrange and midbass frequencies) and tweeter. In a 3-way setup, such as those I linked up above, there is a dedicated midbass driver and a dedicated midrange driver, aswell as a tweeter.

would i have to add all these different type drivers to have a really great system?
Well, to have a really great system you need to cover the entire frequency range with drivers capable of clean, accurate performance.

It doesn't really matter the combination, as long as the entire frequency range is covered with drivers capable of accurately producing the frequencies you have dedicated them to play. Some people use a 3-way frontstage (midbass, midrange, tweeter), some people use a 2-way front stage (midwoofer [that plays both midbass and midrange frequencies] and tweeter).....there's a ton of different ways to accomplish it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.