Differences between RTA's

Participant count
  • Participant list
. As my sound is kind of warm and I'd like to see it in an RTA to see how I could improve my sound to my likings, instead of just doing it all by ear.
seeing a frequency response curve on a screen is not going to improve a sound to your liking, only your ears can, if it seems lacking in a certain range eq it to your satisfaction. people perceive sound differently. prior illnesses, congenital defects and general ear hygene can make things sound wildly different for different people. some people who have had tubes put in their ears, or had a burst eardrum will hear things differently due to scar tissue.

seeing a frequency response curve on a screen is not going to improve a sound to your liking, only your ears can, if it seems lacking in a certain range eq it to your satisfaction. people perceive sound differently. prior illnesses, congenital defects and general ear hygene can make things sound wildly different for different people. some people who have had tubes put in their ears, or had a burst eardrum will hear things differently due to scar tissue.
Thing is you have to get it flat first then shape the sound or you might miss information..

Can we keep this objective. Two people arguing over what volume to RTA at. Can an independent person give his or her opinion on this? It's kind of distracting. I don't know who or what to believe right now.

Can we keep this objective. Two people arguing over what volume to RTA at. Can an independent person give his or her opinion on this? It's kind of distracting. I don't know who or what to believe right now.
It’s simple. If you want to tune right then learn how to tune right. If you are going to listen to levels past the stress point of human hearing there is no point in doing it with an RTA. Just use your ears. Spend the money where it would make a bigger difference.

https://www.parts-express.com/minidsp-umik-1-omni-directional-usb-measurement-calibrated-microphone--230-332 Is this it?And does it provide some kind of sound card? I know my laptop f.e. has a built in HPF, which will do me no good.
Yes but it’s a usb mic that REW will recognise and you download a calibration file for REW. You do not need any additional hardware, just software to use this mic with REW. You will also need a one of these.

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-35mm-male-to-male-slim-plug-shielded-audio-cable-6-ft--240-053

https://www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1

This dealer does custom calibrations for each mic.

Cross·Spectrum - Calibrated MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphones for Sale

It’s simple. If you want to tune right then learn how to tune right. If you are going to listen to levels past the stress point of human hearing there is no point in doing it with an RTA. Just use your ears. Spend the money where it would make a bigger difference.
you use listing levels. 100bd and 120db the frequency response is usually not linear as output increases. if he wants something that reaches 100 DB which is not much louder than most cars road noise(90DB or so) that is acceptable. in that case i agree 90 to 100DB. if he chooses high output he needs to tune it appropriately.

you use listing levels. 100bd and 120db the frequency response is usually not linear as output increases. if he wants something that reaches 100 DB which is not much louder than most cars road noise(90DB or so) that is acceptable. in that case i agree 90 to 100DB. if he chooses high output he needs to tune it appropriately.
Look at my signature, updated it. Now has all the gear I own in it haha...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.