Differences between RTA's

Aygodriver1212

Senior VIP Member
Mar 31, 2016
Amsterdam
Hello guys,

for a while now I've been looking for a somewhat decent RTA to tune some of my friends' and my own system.

I've been looking in to an RTA I found through Soundman on YouTube. The Audiofrog UM-1 (link below)

Test Gear - Audiofrog UMI-1

My friend told me he calibrated his system using the standard little mic which was included with his radio (Pioneer 80prs).

What's the concrete differences between these mics? I mean the radio mic is also being used for auto calibration but there must be some major quality differences?

In case you guys have other good RTA options, which aren't too expensive, I'd love to hear.

Thanks!

shizzzon

I am who you think I am
Apr 27, 2008
KY
You pay for what you get.

Cheap RTAs have LOW dB capabilities.

Typically max out around 120db or so.

Of course, that's loud for the upper range but RTAing midbass is not loud in today's vehicles.

If you RTA at a volume BELOW what you listen to it at, then the entire process is useless.

Test at various volumes including the loudest you'd want it to sound great. If that loudness level surpasses that typical 120db, you should check us out.

We offer RTAs up to 155dB. Warning though- The noise floor is much higher and the lowest accurate measurement doesn't start until 80dB.

OP
Aygodriver1212

Aygodriver1212

Senior VIP Member
Mar 31, 2016
Amsterdam
You pay for what you get.
Cheap RTAs have LOW dB capabilities.

Typically max out around 120db or so.

Of course, that's loud for the upper range but RTAing midbass is not loud in today's vehicles.

If you RTA at a volume BELOW what you listen to it at, then the entire process is useless.

Test at various volumes including the loudest you'd want it to sound great. If that loudness level surpasses that typical 120db, you should check us out.

We offer RTAs up to 155dB. Warning though- The noise floor is much higher and the lowest accurate measurement doesn't start until 80dB.
I have 3 Rockford amps in my car, 140 db should be no problem. I surpass 120db easily.

Thanks for your advice, could you link you website here?

shizzzon

I am who you think I am
Apr 27, 2008
KY
You misunderstand what we implied.

We suggested using an spl meter for subwoofer use instead of rta. You then proceed to say that you can surpass 140db easily implying this is not for subwoofer but something higher.

160db or higher is pointless to rta in a vehicle.

For Midbass on up, you would want rta.

You can use our rta for subwoofer use if you need to rta everything conveniently.

OP
Aygodriver1212

Aygodriver1212

Senior VIP Member
Mar 31, 2016
Amsterdam
We suggested using an spl meter for subwoofer use instead of rta. You then proceed to say that you can surpass 140db easily implying this is not for subwoofer but something higher.

You can use our rta for subwoofer use if you need to rta everything conveniently.
I think I didn't really write it the way I meant it. English isn't my mothertongue, excuse me for that.

I make a 140db on sub tones, I completely understood what you meant by saying I need an SPL meter for my sub instead of an RTA.

I wasn't going to use an RTA for my sub as I can just tune sub tones to my likings by ear using my 3sixty.3 DSP.

The reason I would like to use the RTA, as you said, is to tune midbass and up. As my sound is kind of warm and I'd like to see it in an RTA to see how I could improve my sound to my likings, instead of just doing it all by ear.

I hope it's more clear now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

OP
Aygodriver1212

Aygodriver1212

Senior VIP Member
Mar 31, 2016
Amsterdam
If you are trying to RTA over 110db then you are wasting your time. 95-110db is the sweet spot.
I'm not, my sub is the reason I go over 140. If I just RTA my mids and highs it should be fine :p

LosIsATool

CarAudio.com Veteran
Apr 7, 2011
Pensacola, Florida
I'm not, my sub is the reason I go over 140. If I just RTA my mids and highs it should be fine :p
What about the sub? If you are not building equal left and right channel curves 20-20k it’s pointless.

If the sub is 30db over the mid bass it’s pointless.

LosIsATool

CarAudio.com Veteran
Apr 7, 2011
Pensacola, Florida

Wtf are you talking about?

OP
Aygodriver1212

Aygodriver1212

Senior VIP Member
Mar 31, 2016
Amsterdam
What about the sub? If you are not building equal left and right channel curves 20-20k it’s pointless. If the sub is 30db over the mid bass it’s pointless.
I have a volume control hooked up to my 3sixty.3. It allows me to adjust sub volume and have presets.

I have a daily preset where my sub is not 30db over the mid bass.

staan

CarAudio.com Veteran
May 10, 2016
la
. As my sound is kind of warm and I'd like to see it in an RTA to see how I could improve my sound to my likings, instead of just doing it all by ear.
seeing a frequency response curve on a screen is not going to improve a sound to your liking, only your ears can, if it seems lacking in a certain range eq it to your satisfaction. people perceive sound differently. prior illnesses, congenital defects and general ear hygene can make things sound wildly different for different people. some people who have had tubes put in their ears, or had a burst eardrum will hear things differently due to scar tissue.

Papermaker85

Banned
Dec 15, 2006
New orleans LA
seeing a frequency response curve on a screen is not going to improve a sound to your liking, only your ears can, if it seems lacking in a certain range eq it to your satisfaction. people perceive sound differently. prior illnesses, congenital defects and general ear hygene can make things sound wildly different for different people. some people who have had tubes put in their ears, or had a burst eardrum will hear things differently due to scar tissue.
Thing is you have to get it flat first then shape the sound or you might miss information..

OP
Aygodriver1212

Aygodriver1212

Senior VIP Member
Mar 31, 2016
Amsterdam
Can we keep this objective. Two people arguing over what volume to RTA at. Can an independent person give his or her opinion on this? It's kind of distracting. I don't know who or what to believe right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)