Did I do something wrong, or right??

Sguirrelfeather

Senior VIP Member
This may be a first, but for the wattage I'm putting into my subs, it's WAY too loud! lol

Yeah, that doesn't seem like a normal complaint, huh? Here's the deal. I purchased a tline from @CSCStang which houses two HDS208 Soundqubed subs. Fine craftsmanship btw! While waiting for everything to come in, I wired them up for 2 Ohm each and hooked each one to a 500W amp. That's 1000W total. It sounded pretty good. No complaints other than it didn't sound as "full" as I had hoped...but figured things would change once the subs broke in. Yesterday, I got the FZ2600 and promptly hooked everything up. I re-wired the subs for 1 Ohm. I played a 42Hz tone (what the enclosure is tuned to) and turned the head unit up to where I tend to max out on volume. I then broke out the DMM and adjusted gain so that I got 25.5 Volts, which should be 650 Watts. I wanted to start small and work my way up from there. I turned everything off, hooked the subs up, and put on some music. HOLY FREAKING PAINFUL HELL!!!! Most of the music I play was excellent, but there were a couple of songs that just blew me away and actually hurt my ears from the overpressure.

Freaking out, thinking I did something wrong, I disconnected everything and double checked. Yup, everything was set right. I have two dual voice coil subs, each voice coil is 4 Ohm. I have all four of the voice coils wired in parallel, which gives me 1 Ohm. Just to be sure, I also set my high pass around 100Hz (played a 100Hz tone and adjusted until the tone just started to diminish). I also set my subsonic filter to about 33Hz. I then reset my gain for 25.5 Volts. Tried it again. Same result. LOUD!!

Granted, I am not complaining about the volume per se, but I am definitely concerned that I may have screwed something up. I don't want to blow a sub or an amp. Can anyone see what I may have done wrong, or did I do everything right and the new location for the sub is helping with volume? (I had originally placed it directly behind the front seats just because it was a test, and it is now placed in the far back...this is an Excursion btw)

I don't know what good it will do, but ok, here's some pics. This is still in mock-up stage. I'll have everything in a different position/configuration eventually. I didn't want to put it in its final place until I was sure I had it setup correctly.

I'm not sure what exactly you're wanting to see in these pics. Rather than show you the speaker wiring (cuz it's all taped up and a pic would not show how it's hooked up), I just took a pic of the DMM while on the speaker leads.

I know you set gains already , have you tried turning the gains anyway ?
Definitely. This thing is very sensitive. Just a little nudge can cause a jump of a couple volts, so I had to be really careful to get it right. I've tried it probably six or seven times, so I know I've got the voltage set properly. I'm thinking it might be possible that the other amps I have just weren't up to the task. Yes, I set them with a DMM as well, but I guess it's possible they just weren't putting out what they should have been.

[quote name='Sguirrelfeather']I purchased a tline from @CSCStang [/QUOTE]

I would say this is the reason. T-lines have high efficiency (require less power) and wide bandwidth (usually). Overall you're getting more bandwidth and output over a traditional ported enclosure. If you've had a ported enclosure before and you got a well designed/built t-line the difference is night and day.

since its set correctly with the DMM now you can make the mental note where that correct setting is on the gain knob marker

then play it at the volume you are wanting to be your highest

then turn the gain down until its where you want

you can always put it right back

I played a 42Hz tone (what the enclosure is tuned to) and turned the head unit up to where I tend to max out on volume. I then broke out the DMM and adjusted gain so that I got 25.5 Volts, which should be 650 Watts.
I also set my subsonic filter to about 33Hz. I then reset my gain for 25.5 Volts.
Op you've incorrectly tuned your amp. . For one, setting the ssf to 25.5v at 33hz is more than likely why it's loud as fawk. You don't need an ssf with a t-line so open it all the way (counter-clockwise). When setting the gain use a 50hz tone, you're matching the HU output voltage to the amps inputs. Box tuning doesn't have anything to do with it.

So turn your ssf all the way down, then play a 50hz tone and set the voltage to 25.5v. Report back with how much better it sounds. [emoji482]

Try laying your box down, with subs/port firing toward the tailgate. You'll experience a whole new level of loudness.

Then show off to your friends and put their larger sub'd systems to shame!!

I also gotta t-line design from cscstang....yet to build it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.