Did I blow my woofer?

Ok I tested it with a DMM, one side gives a **** load of random numbers but the other side sits at 1 and doesn't change at all even while I push down on the woofer. So I take it this means its dead huh?

Ok I tested it with a DMM, one side gives a **** load of random numbers but the other side sits at 1 and doesn't change at all even while I push down on the woofer. So I take it this means its dead huh?
wurd

sorry to hear dude, i was going to build ya that box today too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

so what would happen if you hooked it up and didnt push on it would it sit at 1 ohm? I have 1 12 L7 that im not 100% sure if somethings wrong but when i hook up each voice coil individually it reads 4.0 ohms, but when i push on the subwoofer while it being hooked up the numbers just all around, does that mean my subwoofer is blown? i thought that as long as it doesnt read 0.00 then its good?

i havent the slightest idea what it means, thats why i posted it would jump around.
the coils need to be STILL. they will be within a couple of tenths from the nominal reading. touch the leads of your DMM together to see how far off they are also.

0 isn't a good number to get when testing coils, neither is like a 22.xx or something.

so what would happen if you hooked it up and didnt push on it would it sit at 1 ohm? I have 1 12 L7 that im not 100% sure if somethings wrong but when i hook up each voice coil individually it reads 4.0 ohms, but when i push on the subwoofer while it being hooked up the numbers just all around, does that mean my subwoofer is blown? i thought that as long as it doesnt read 0.00 then its good?
when you push the cone while the DMM is on it, it will jump around, thats normal.
if you put it on one coil, move the cone and it stays at one?, ive never heard of thatbut id imagine that thetinsels broke off or somethin.

when you push the cone while the DMM is on it, it will jump around, thats normal.
if you put it on one coil, move the cone and it stays at one?, ive never heard of thatbut id imagine that thetinsels broke off or somethin.
On alot of DMM's 1 is over load/current or some crap like that....So he may have it on the wrong setting or the resistance is just waaaaaay high on the one coil...

On alot of DMM's 1 is over load/current or some crap like that....So he may have it on the wrong setting or the resistance is just waaaaaay high on the one coil...
Overload is usualy OL or some other identification. Either that or a 1 in the thousand position with the other 3 blank.

OP: Random numbers usually means its open.

As in open, if the display doesn't change from when you don't have the leads touching anything to putting it on that coil I would guess broken tinsel

Overload is usualy OL or some other identification. Either that or a 1 in the thousand position with the other 3 blank.
OP: Random numbers usually means its open.
No, the random numbers is because when you pass wire through a magnetic field you induce voltage. DMM's are not meant to check for resistance while there is voltage present.

No, the random numbers is because when you pass wire through a magnetic field you induce voltage. DMM's are not meant to check for resistance while there is voltage present.
I have used MM's that show random numbers until a load is measured.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.