SQL setup in a Ford Bronco (I've searched)

muffinman944
10+ year member

BITTER Army Officer
Hello everyone,

I just returned from Iraq, and now I'm looking to upgrade the setup I have installed in my '90 Bronco (system details on my sig). The first area I want to hit is the Sub bass and amp. Im donating the old amp to my brother and selling the G5s.

I am looking for SQL, meaning I want CLEAN, HARD hitting ACCURATE bass. I listen to Rock and Country mostly (rap only if I just feel like "bassing out" for a bit), so I really need something that hits as well in the 50-100 Hz range as it does with the really low stuff. The G5s (ported encl. BTW) were great for the 50-100 Hz but lacked in the lower range (Im sure the box that I had made was partly to blame). Before the G5s I had 2 x 12'' Diamond TDXs (sealed encl) and before that an old 800w rms 12'' Memphis (ported). My biggest complaint with either ''12s was that they SLAMMED with the low sub bass, but the higher sub bass, like bass guitar or drums, seemed weak or non-existant. My aim so far has been off with either my sub or box/install, because I KNOW you can get good SQL in the entire sub bass spectrum from a 10'' just as well as an 18'', soooo, heres what Im looking at:

For the new amp, I am looking at either an SA3000D (everyone here seems to love Sundown) or a Massive P 3000.1 (heard limited, but mostly good feedback on these). I already purchased a high output alternator for this, and am thinking about running dual batteries.

My big question is, what subwoofer brand/size/setup would you reccommend going with this? Remember, hard hitting but CLEAN bass is my goal here. Setups Ive thought of are 4 x ID MAX, Dayton HOs, Fi Qs, or the upcoming SI Mags (haven't decided on size yet). I like these brands because they seem highly reccommended and they are not "mainstream audio" brands. If you have any others in mind, please let me know. Please reccommend a setup/box too. Im sure that much of my past freq response issues were due to the enclosure, and if I can get what I need from 15''/18''s with the right box, Ill gladly go there.

Space is not an issue, as I have the entire rear of the Bronco to work with (could even stick some pads on the top of the box and make that the new bench seat!!). Budget wise, I'm figuring the amp for about $500-$1,000 (any reccommendations besides Massive or SD let me know), and Im budgeting about $1,000 -$1,500 more for the subs, which makes it $1,500-$2,500 for the total package. I will eventually be upgrading the rest of my system too, but since my old amp was donated to the bro, this is where Im starting.

Let me finally say that Ive searched extensively on this subject, but everyone seems to want to fit 12 x 18''s in the trunk of a Civic, or wants to hit 190 db with only $250 to spend. I feel that this is a buildup where the results are reaslistic given the budget/available space. Fire away with your thoughts! Thank you in advance for all your help.

...I really need something that hits as well in the 50-100 Hz range...
What you need, is solid midbass. If you mount some strong dedicated midbass drivers in your front doors, you wont want your subs to run above 50-60hz anyway. It will also help keep bass localization towards the front, not the rear, and maintain that Q in SQL.

Like Audioholic said, invest in solid midbass drivers. Four CSS SDX7's out to do the trick. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Count on a big door build, but you'll have more midbass than anyone else.

For subwoofers though, four Mag v4's in 4 cubic feet sealed out to do the trick. Hhawk overseas is going to be doing a build with three Mag v4's sealed in a Lexus IS. I'm going to be doing four Mag v4's in my little Civic hatch. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Like Audioholic said, invest in solid midbass drivers. Four CSS SDX7's out to do the trick. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Count on a big door build, but you'll have more midbass than anyone else.
For subwoofers though, four Mag v4's in 4 cubic feet sealed out to do the trick. Hhawk overseas is going to be doing a build with three Mag v4's sealed in a Lexus IS. I'm going to be doing four Mag v4's in my little Civic hatch. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
FI Q W/BP Option Sundown 1500, save the rest of your money
X2 the Fi Q shoudl be an 18" on teh 1500, or a pair of 15" on an AQ 2200 which is super affordabe $389 direct from AQ.

The AQ would match 4 new Mags perfectly at 550rms each. 4 of teh new mags on a 2200 is gonna knock you fillings out from the reviews I have read on just one. your gonna need ****ing insane midbass eevn to hear something over either one of these setups.

Thanks everyone so far. I like the FiQs (18''s you were saying), and Electrodynamic, what can I say about the new Mags....These things sound like the Biblical Savior of the Speaker world //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif, and whether I go with them or not, i cannot wait to hear them.

I completely agree with purchasing some quality mid-bass drivers. The good thing is Im running components in the front only and the rear passenger area is simply a huge panel which I will be replacing with a sheet of carpeted MDF. Theres a solid indention in the whole side panel on both sides so I can honestly put as many midbass drivers as I feel like cutting holes for (and powering). Im assuming an active crossover in the rear L/R lines filtering out the highs (250Hz?? maybe) would do the trick. Let me know the details, but thats defenitley what Im gonna do. I think my expectation of having a sub produce 100 Hz as well as 50Hz was a little unrealistic.

So I am now installing midbass drivers instead of rear passenger speakers (I know the front is optimal, but this will still be much closer than the subs in the back and sooooooo much easier). Any other reccommened sub/quantity/box setup? Since midbass will be separate now, we can just go with whatever hits low subbass hard and clean. Please give details on the install too, because this is as important to me as my speaker choice. Ive played with the speaker placement in the back of my Bronco for hours with my old setup. A box either facing the rear or down firing seemed to give the best results, but Im sure there are a world of possibiilities. Thanks for the input, Keep it coming!!!!!

By the way, I like the AQ amps. MUUUUUCCCHHHHH more affordable than Sundown. Also, I checked out the CSS SDX7s, which look just like what I need, but are these really suited for freq in the 100hz range? Im not doubting your input (believe me!!!)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif, I just wanna make sure Im not getting the wrong impression here. Any other recs for some solid midbass/ upper sub bass drivers? Keep it coming!!!!

Ive lost track now, will these be dedicated midbass? What freq range will they be expected to extend up to?

There's alot of solid midbass drivers out there these days. What diameter speaker are you wanting?

Well, my basic problem was that I was hearing a "gap" with my old setup (slamming lows with non existant bass guitar or drums). The remedy presented was to intsall more midbass drivers (CCS SDX7s were reccommended by Electrodynamic), and with this being done the sub setup I purchase next wont need to go much above 60 Hz. From that I took that these midbass drivers (CC labels them as 6''subwoofers) would be able to bridge the gap (or at least mostly) between my subs pounding at 60 Hz and below, and my components up front (Im guessing 500Hz and up). I looked at the CCs and the looked like the right answer, BUT, like I said before, I am a noob and I know it. I have read alot, but not experienced alot, so if I jumping to an inaccurate conclusion, please let me know.

Soooooo, to answer your question in a nutshell, im wanting a driver/drivers that will fill in the gap between 500 Hz and 100Hz. Any size is fine, but I would Imagine that 6''-8'' would be optimal (again, correct me if I am wrong).

Another thing, I realize with the sub bass setup im talking about that it may be difficult for my highs to really keep up. The mid bass and bass is what I am focusing on building up first, then i will adjust the sound stage up front as neccessary. BTW, I am also going to upgrade my alterantor apply extensive sound deadening, and do the Big 3 prior to install. I am also considering adding a second battery, but not before I decide on the setup. Thanks for the continued help, keep it up!!

So any other suggestions for subs or midbass drivers? Am I correct in my assumption above that thats the freq gap I need to fill (100Hz - 500 Hz)?

The more input the merrier...

BTW Im leaning towards either 4 of the new Mags or some 15'' Id MAXs or Qs.

Suggestions on good ways to keep the Bass tight (more of a question for the 15s)? I havent had much exposure to 15s or 18s, and Id love to run them in a set up if its applicable to my needs. Thanks for the input so far!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

Ok, I know I keep posting but I keep on thinking about stuff......

I def taking Audioholic and Electrodynamic's advice on the midbass. Ill **** it up and put them in the lower part of the front doors, cuz thats where theyll sound the best. Now what signal do I run to them? do I run an active crossover on the rear channel and filter out highs, or on the sub channel and filter out the extreme lows? Whats a good crossover point for whichever you reccommend?

Now, for subs..Id like to do either 4 x SI Mags or 2 x 18''(FiQw/BP, ID MAX). I still dont know what to think about 15''s except if im gonna go that big why not just go with 18''s, because any setup thats been mentioned so far will fit with room to spare. I also hear DD's 9100 line is supposed to be for big SQ, any thoughts on those? Im sorry if it seems like im just asking the same questions over and over, I just wanna get as many POVs as possible before I go for it. After all, Ive been waiting a while for this. Thanks for your continued input!!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If you go with the CSS 7's, you'll want to research them a bit and make sure you have enough room for them. The drivers are quite deep so you'll want to make sure that you have enough room even with spacers. Make sure you roll down your window when you check for depth. The last thing you want to do is see that you have 5" of depth, install your woofer and then shatter your window or break the speaker when you roll it down because you only have 2.5" of depth with the window down.

Sundown's customer service and fast warranty work should warrant the price difference compared to AQ. Not to mention it's a better built and better performing amplifier. If price was everything, everybody would shop at Walmart.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.