Definitive: Cold weather = lower output

it was -17 here with the windchill and -1 regular and all my stuff worked fine...this is the second winter with basically the same equipment and nothing wrong yet...dont know what your doing wrong???

my single d3100 isnt liking just starting my truck in the cold either //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

What is your source on that?
And yea density kills long distance transmission of energy, don't you know thats why we use sonar on ships!
Holy carp you didn't know that? it's was one of the most hyped scientific "breakthroughs" for a while, I call it "cheating."

Here is the wikipedia reference:

Slow lightMain article: Slow light

Certain materials have an exceptionally high group index and a correspondingly low group velocity for light waves. In 1999, a team of scientists led by Lene Hau were able to slow the speed of a light pulse to about 17 metres per second;[14] in 2001, they were able to momentarily stop a beam.[15]

In 2003, Mikhail Lukin, with scientists at Harvard University and the Lebedev Institute in Moscow, succeeded in completely halting light by directing it into a Bose–Einstein condensate of the element rubidium, the atoms of which, in Lukin's words, behaved "like tiny mirrors" due to an interference pattern in two "control" beams.[16][17]
And some more news refs.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-18104146.html

http://www.rochester.edu/pr/News/NewsReleases/scitech/boyd-slowlight.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/18/AR2007011801683.html

What is your source on that?
And yea density kills long distance transmission of energy, don't you know thats why we use sonar on ships!
Don't you know some military sonars emit 8khz frequency pings at 235db's re 1 μPa?

And yes thermoclines are highly detected by sonar for that very reason.

Don't you know some military sonars emit 8khz frequency pings at 235db's re 1 μPa?
And yes thermoclines are highly detected by sonar for that very reason.
I guess my sarcasm wasn't really detected, my point was that the change in the speed of sound due to temperature in a car makes an imperceivable difference in the output of a subwoofer in this situation, I think that in this case the amount of sand, ice and salt on the road due to the bad weather would have more of an effect on the perceived loudness of the system due to a raised noise floor.

The only issue here is the stiffness of the suspension, probably more to do with the spiders being stiffer than the surround being stiffer. That or he has ice forming on the voice coil, but that depends on the humidity of his trunk, which probably hasn't been very high for a while.

I guess my sarcasm wasn't really detected, my point was that the change in the speed of sound due to temperature in a car makes an imperceivable difference in the output of a subwoofer in this situation, I think that in this case the amount of sand, ice and salt on the road due to the bad weather would have more of an effect on the perceived loudness of the system due to a raised noise floor.
The only issue here is the stiffness of the suspension, probably more to do with the spiders being stiffer than the surround being stiffer. That or he has ice forming on the voice coil, but that depends on the humidity of his trunk, which probably hasn't been very high for a while.
Yeah i didn't say that the weather was causing his volume problems i said that its only a problem when you factor in distance... for example maybe you could hear a sound from 2 miles away when its 80 degrees, but only 1.5 miles when its 30 below.... However in the small environment of the car te cold weather would actually result in a higher spl

Anybody think about it's not that alternators work better when it's cold but maybe cold drains batteries so the alts kick up to charge them?

Yeah i didn't say that the weather was causing his volume problems i said that its only a problem when you factor in distance... for example maybe you could hear a sound from 2 miles away when its 80 degrees, but only 1.5 miles when its 30 below.... However in the small environment of the car te cold weather would actually result in a higher spl
My bad.

heh, i think the answer is that the cold temp makes the suspension stiffer and for SURE the surround. When i push the surround when its -8 it feels like its HARD as a rock.

Today it was 4 degrees for the high and i definitely noticed a little more loudness from the sub than previously at temperatures of -8 f. All these tests are parked in my driveway.

The temperature changes the properties of the voice coil dramatically.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.