Definitive: Cold weather = lower output

microhaxo
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MINNESOTA
Alright well i started a thread a while back about how my sub sounded not as strong as it was in the summer. It was about 28 degrees when i was complaining about that..

SO as of right now its -7 F with a wind chill of -40 f.

Here is the setup, i was in my car running some errands and the cabin was hot, put the deck in, have the volume on 8 out of the total 19 i listen to, and there is ZERO bass. So every min or so i turn the volume up 1 notch.. Eventually i get to 16 i hear a slight humm of bass, i turn to my listening volume of 19, i see my lights dimm on the bass hits and i hear barely anything, it sounds like bass from my components. So i say AHAH, just like last year..

I get home i pull out my DMM and check the voltage out from my amp.. A steady 37v on young jeezy air forces which sounds about right but the sub was moving like it was getting about 60w.. The rubber surround is REALLY cold as well was i at that time, my amp had to be at least 20 below 0 because it burned my fingers to touch and not in a hot way.

SO there you have it folks... The colder it is.... The less output you get out of your subwoofer.

I let my music run for a good 20 -30 min and it had no real improvement.

I could make a video but it would be pointless, its just components playing sound with lights dim for no apparent reason because you wouldn't hear any bass.

not sure i agree but in any case thank god i live in florida, moving from michigan to florida 4 yrs ago was the best decision i ever made.

and btw i have seen ure previous posts about this and have u considered going to a professional and not using ure DMM meter everytime

hmmm that's wierd. i have always wondered..i live in wyoming. it gets cold here. never really had that problem

My dmm never fails me.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I can make a video if you guys want, showing volume up and the output given by the amp and you will see no bass and my hand frozen.

I've noticed it too, at times. Never had that much of a problem. Just got to give the surround time to losing up. But your in extreme cold, which is were I don't wanna b

I dont think the sound waves slow down or there would be a drop in frequency. Cold air is less dense therefore easier to compress yielding higher SPL? just a thought. I do believe that there is a point where you would start to see losses. My system (especially subs) dont sound right until the cabin warms up.

florida is nice.. doesn't get too cold.. I do wish it snowed but owell my car paint stays nicer.. hell florida driver's can't drive one the road on a good day.. can't imagine if it snowed..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.