Definitive: Cold weather = lower output

I dont think the sound waves slow down or there would be a drop in frequency. Cold air is less dense therefore easier to compress? just a thought. I do believe that there is a point where you would start to see losses. My system (especially subs) dont sound right until the cabin warms up.
LOL... tell that to turbo manufacturers.. they have there **** all wrong.. cold air is more dense therefore already compress more than hot air.. cold is slower moving molecules so they are closer together so sound travels across them faster

I need some scientific proof.

I might have to agree with NG.

And cold air is denser which is the point in Cold Air Intakes and Intercoolers.

So far this is all subjective. Not definitive. We want science.

I don't really understand what you did in your test. Amps run better and more efficient in cold weather. If you test your output voltage with a DMM, you need to at least use a tone or something consistent, not music.

At any rate, you're 100% correct: cold really kills low end performance. It takes about 30-45 min of pretty loud play and a nice warm car for me to get decent output. If the air temp is -8*F, every moving part of a driver is affected.

Zaph tested this and found mostly what changes is free air resonance and the air compliance (Fs and Vas): http://zaphaudio.com/temp.html

florida is nice.. doesn't get too cold.. I do wish it snowed but owell my car paint stays nicer.. hell florida driver's can't drive one the road on a good day.. can't imagine if it snowed..
i drive a truck for a living, i can tell you florida drivers are in the best top 5. ive been to almost every state. if u want bad drivers heres a list. 1. Memphis 2. Pittsburgh 3. Philadelphia. 4. Chicago 5. State of California

Here is a video of me playing a song, normally hits hard and tonight it sounds like an 8"...

If you listen you will hear that my TRUNK IS FROZEN SHUT And i had to yank on it hard to open it...

As said before the voltage from the amp to the sub is normal so idk... IT could very well be that my battery doesnt have enough CCA but then my lights would dim even more when its colder.

As you have seen from my other videos this sub and box can output 137DB (measured by my friend at the maple grove best buy)

To clarify things:

I know EXACTLY the max volts output on about 15 songs i listen too. I tuned my amp with a 50hz -3db tone to 45v and for instance Kanye west Bad news hits 38 volts on the bass hits max, Cold winter hits 35v on the bass hits MAX, and Young Jeezy ft kanye west put on hits exactly 45v for 4 seconds about 2 min and 48 seconds in when kanye west first sings.

Thats how i know the output is the same...

You guys are over analyzing this so called problem. Its very simple. Yeah you might be louder in the cold if your subs surround and suspension are at least 50 degrees or already warmed up. but when the car has been outside all night and the suspension and surround are very cold, they do not move near as far with the same input power, and hence less bass especially low lows.

and yes your 15 is gonna sound like an 8 if the suspension is rock hard which is like throwing it in a 1ft box

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.