Definitive: Cold weather = lower output

i live in MN as well so i guess ill chime in. i think its just the batt and the amp. for one batts have a hard time in the winter anyway, even if they dont have an amp hooked up to it. i have found that you just have to let everything warm up. the batt needs to get charged up before it can preform well, the amp needs to warm up a bit before it can start to feed the sub its proper power, and the VCs need to be warmed up as well before you get the best performance out of the sub. so heres my theory.... i dont bump my **** when i get in my car right away, i wait for everything to warm up... first i wait for the batt to warm up and get charged up, then i slowly turn the gain on the hu so the amp warms up, and by doing that the VCs will warm up as well, so if you just give it some time it should work fine. i find that if i do this i dont have any problems and i bump just as hard if not harder.

maybe im totally wrong but thats my theory

well this theory works if im driving from Minneapolis to Duluth.... But i just got done driving about 5 miles and what i did was waited till my cabin got warm, then played my music at volume 8, then every min turning it up 1 notch, i never let it get past 16 out of my normal 19 listening level (didnt want to damage something because of the cold) and it never really got the chance to play any louder, i think i had it at 16 for about 3 songs worth of playing and then i was home so. But im sure it would sound better (but not as good as summer) if i had a lot longer to go, say an hr ride.

I don't think it was best buys, it might have been his, he is spl crazy and has a truck with 4 15's and basically a coffin holding them in.

His name is Vishal if anyone knows him.

ngsm13, why with the smack?

My friend andy has 2 Alpine 1000w monoblocks and has the same problem as me, but he is running 2 r's. But he doesn't have any dimming.

some subs are just adapted to diferent weathers, maybe your subs havent adapted to the cold habitat. You might whant to make special little sweaters for them.

I don't think it was best buys, it might have been his, he is spl crazy and has a truck with 4 15's and basically a coffin holding them in.
His name is Vishal if anyone knows him.

ngsm13, why with the smack?

My friend andy has a Alpine 1000w monoblock and has the same problem as me, but he is running 2 r's.
Because you're a retard.

Cold weather will cause any and all electronics to function better.

Obviously FREEZING anything mechanical with moving parts doesn't exactly work too well.

oh **** i didnt see you had a sony amp.. well thats probably your problem. it has a hard enough time putting out power, let alone being in below zero temps. i would say get a diff amp. my amp and sub is fine after about 10-15 min of warming everything up and sounds normal. this is just on the really cold days... id say 10 degrees and colder. but other than that yes.. in the colder weather 10 degrees+ my stuff runs fine.

and i do believe it does need to warm up somewhat. i was looking at my stuff this morning (-10 act temp) and my amp felt frozen. so i think you need to give it at least some time to warm up before romping on it? esp so the batt can charge.

SO there you have it folks... The colder it is.... The less output you get out of your subwoofer.
This conclusion isn't quite correct. You're getting less output not because of the surrounding temperature, but because the moving parts of the driver have become significantly more rigid.

You'll find that a driver that has been warmed up to normal operating temperature is typically capable of slightly higher SPL levels in the cold.

New Hope, i know about my amp, it was the first one i bought and i got it for a deal. I think ill end up buying the Phoenix gold that does 600w x1 at 4 ohm or 800w x1 at 2, ill have to wire it at 4 ohm though, unless i can find a 1 ohm stable GOOD amp for under 160.00

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.