Definitive: Cold weather = lower output

Just read the whole thread and cannot believe the kind of responses given... Cotjones is probably the worst, trying to prove that sound waves are hindered by greater density air. This is true, but you're comparing water's freezing temperature to absolute zero....

Example:

-273.15K = -459.67 degrees Fahrenheit.

I hope you can now see how ridiculous it is to compare -8 degrees to -459.67 degrees..

yeah man i have good days and bad days. im in sc

and sometimes my amp will clip, and sometimes i can crank it and it hits notes really well, and it clear and loud.

im pos there isn't any connection wrong, and nothing is too crappy.

usually i drive a mile before i turn it on, and on the way home, turn it off with a mile left of my destination. someitmes i find it plays better (no clipping) when i drive (not just sitting idle) when i first get in before i turn it on.

but thats just me, and my equipment is old, (was givin to me) so that could be a problem too.

yeah man i have good days and bad days. im in scand sometimes my amp will clip, and sometimes i can crank it and it hits notes really well, and it clear and loud.

im pos there isn't any connection wrong, and nothing is too crappy.

usually i drive a mile before i turn it on, and on the way home, turn it off with a mile left of my destination. someitmes i find it plays better (no clipping) when i drive (not just sitting idle) when i first get in before i turn it on.

but thats just me, and my equipment is old, (was givin to me) so that could be a problem too.
maybe its me but i dont believe ure amp shouldnt clip on certain days

trust me thats what i thought too

i can set it one day, and it will be fine (even modestly set it, and not crank it where it can be) and it will sound great, and then another day sound lame.

its an old rf punch60.2. The gain is all the way down. and the bass adjustment not is maybe 2/3's up. and it sound ok now (im still learning everyday how to make my setup better) but who knows how long this will last lol

No, its for sure. COLD COLD WEATHER means the subwoofer does not output like it normally would..

it was -21 today with a high of -5 and my subwoofer made ABSOLUTELY NO noise, i dont even run it.

from my PERSONAL EXPERIENCES.. cold weather affecting the output of subwoofers really depends on a number of factors.. either way, if your system works or not, its still a bad idea to push your subs in cold weather.. it adds extra wear and tear to the product and could possibly (not definately) cause tears to happen earlier in the lifespan of the sub(s). this is mainly my opinion and personal knowledge so take it how you want.. i would suggest not even having your amp hooked up to the power cord during extreme cold weather.. just as people worry about over-heating you should also worry about over-cooling (or whatever).

No, its for sure. COLD COLD WEATHER means the subwoofer does not output like it normally would..
it was -21 today with a high of -5 and my subwoofer made ABSOLUTELY NO noise, i dont even run it.
was a little colder here today and i had no problems except slow ejecting cd's from my pioneer.

Yea well i just tried to install my Pre amp line driver and when i opened the trunk the subwoofer had a small layer of frost on it!

I felt the rubber and it was literally hard as marble.

This is in a trunk and not a hatch btw.

NO bass could come out of the subwoofer at its current state/temperature.

With my IR thermometer it says that the rubber surround is -27 f and that the center of the cone is -18 f my amp is -36f..

bottom line is that if it is in the low 20's or colder your output will be much less. I don't car what anyone says. It is the truth, and the longer it stays in the cold the worst it gets.

It's 5 degrees here and the speakers barely respond in this cold of weather

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.