Dayton 12" HO SVC

I’d do the 12 in 1.6 cubes @32 hz in your envoy personally. Either sub up, port back…or, sub back and port back. I’ve never really heard an audible difference between doing it either way.

That would be doable, I'd go subs and port back. I've ran both ways and didn't notice any difference either in this rig.

So how many square inches of port would I need?

Cabin gain also matters. A single cab pickup will do better with a small ported box over the same small ported box in the back of a suburban. In a larger vehicle, I would probably bump the box volume up just a tad.
I’ve tried soo many different setups in my single cab and well, nothing has “wowed” me yet. Not sure what I’m doing wrong or is it just the acoustics of the truck. My Dayton ho 10’s 1.9@33hz, if I remember correctly,did sound good on most music but just didn’t cut it for me. I do not think it was the subs at all. Just something about single cabs imo.

I have Dayton 10's in a 1994 Ext Cab Chevy and The Jl 10's are in a 2002 GMC Envoy.

I was thinking I would try the dayton 12's in the SUV so box size wouldn't be an issue if the volume were to be bumped up a bit.

I do listen to rap mainly and mostly older stuff Mac Dre, Lynch hung, Ant Banks, Geto boys etc..

You did this design earlier this year, we spoke on the phone and discussed the music I listen to etc.
I still have the sketches and design saved.

The box like I said sounds good but certain songs not so much..
Take Too Short "livin way too real" this song sounds superb in my other vehicle on a pair of JL 10w3v2 on the dayton setup it's sounds bad..

Another song is Too Short "No love from Oakland" same results as above.. When playing on the Jl's it sounds very clean and the bass is strong, With the Daytons in the console box it sounds like a sub is wired out of phase (it is not)

The daytons do play alot of songs great and I noticed the kick drums are tight and clean.

It seems like the Jl's will play anything I throw at them great, Guess I'm hoping to get the same results with these 12's

Keep in mind that the vehicle greatly matters here, if you're comparing the JL's vs the HO's in different vehicles. That Envoy is going to have significantly better overall cabin qualities (inherently) and a better box layout/box positioning than a single cab truck.

In-cab pickup truck boxes can be some of the hardest to design, especially when you're not "stuffing" the vehicle with subs. They can be very hard to get to sound good. This is something I've noticed after having an extended cab pickup and doing many pickup truck designs for others. If you're running smaller subs and you can't side fire low down in the vehicle behind the seats, then I really prefer bandpasses. It basically seems like the cabin being much wider than it is long is part of the acoustics issue. Like with your box and everyone else's single cab box, I do the best I can with the space and layout options that I'm given.

If you want the best sound in a pickup truck, do a blowthrough.

I’ve tried soo many different setups in my single cab and well, nothing has “wowed” me yet. Not sure what I’m doing wrong or is it just the acoustics of the truck. My Dayton ho 10’s 1.9@33hz, if I remember correctly,did sound good on most music but just didn’t cut it for me. I do not think it was the subs at all. Just something about single cabs imo.

This

Keep in mind that the vehicle greatly matters here, if you're comparing the JL's vs the HO's in different vehicles. That Envoy is going to have significantly better overall cabin qualities (inherently) and a better box layout/box positioning than a single cab truck.

In-cab pickup truck boxes can be some of the hardest to design, especially when you're not "stuffing" the vehicle with subs. They can be very hard to get to sound good. This is something I've noticed after having an extended cab pickup and doing many pickup truck designs for others. If you're running smaller subs and you can't side fire low down in the vehicle behind the seats, then I really prefer bandpasses. It basically seems like the cabin being much wider than it is long is part of the acoustics issue. Like with your box and everyone else's single cab box, I do the best I can with the space and layout options that I'm given.

If you want the best sound in a pickup truck, do a blowthrough.
Your designs are awesome, I never doubt your work.

One reason I really like bandpass in trucks is that the bandpass controls the pressure, largely, on both sides of the cone of the sub. With pickup trucks, if you don't have a lot of subs and power, then you're trying to pressurize a somewhat awkwardly laid out environment. Putting the woofer in the bandpass limits the acoustical effects on the front of the cone from the cabin, so that the bandpass enclosure is almost completely determining the cone's movement, not just the rear chamber and the cabin.

Putting the subs in the center of a pickup truck is the worst place to put them, IMO, if it's a ported box. Sometimes you have to do that to be able to fit anything worth having inside of the vehicle. Like I say, I just try to do the best with what I'm given.

People with extended cabs and quad cabs, you can roll down any one window and it usually changes the entire sound of the vehicle, often times drastically, especially in quad cabs. I've seen quad cabs roll windows down and the box sounds like it's tuned 10 hz differently than with all windows up. It's wild.

I put 4 ten inch DVC4 ohm Audio Tenix /Now CT Sounds in a sealed box for a 84 single cab on a older Autotek Mean Machine 99,Running @2ohms final load and It was breath taking.You could feel the ground vibration about 30ft away.They just fit behind the bench seat in an angled enclosure approx 2 inches above the rear window line.Made wood pods for one pair of Polk 6x9 2-ways and a set of Polk DB 6.5 Marine components with tweeter velcroed at the dash running off a JBL GTQ 400 off of an old Alpine 7983. It was a nice set up for what it was.Used what we had for my Cousins old truck

I put 4 ten inch DVC4 ohm Audio Tenix /Now CT Sounds in a sealed box for a 84 single cab on a older Autotek Mean Machine 99,Running @2ohms final load and It was breath taking.You could feel the ground vibration about 30ft away.They just fit behind the bench seat in an angled enclosure approx 2 inches above the rear window line.Made wood pods for one pair of Polk 6x9 2-ways and a set of Polk DB 6.5 Marine components with tweeter velcroed at the dash running off a JBL GTQ 400 off of an old Alpine 7983. It was a nice set up for what it was.Used what we had for my Cousins old truck
I’ve thought of trying a sealed setup in my truck. It may be something a try in near future. Just try and get as much come area as I can.

Where the subs behind the seat?
just reread your post and see that they were!

That would be doable, I'd go subs and port back. I've ran both ways and didn't notice any difference either in this rig.

So how many square inches of port would I need?
I ran subs up port up for 4.0@32 htz for a pair of S.Qubed HDS310s @2 ohms on an older Mmats HC300HC at approx 1750 rms in my 99 CRV and it slammed pretty good at tilt and sounded very nice at lower volumes

I ran subs up port up for 4.0@32 htz for a pair of S.Qubed HDS310s @2 ohms on an older Mmats HC300HC at approx 1750 rms in my 99 CRV and it slammed pretty good at tilt and sounded very nice at lower volumes

Anything in a CRV is going to be loud hahaha. The new SoundQubed woofers seem pretty nice, as in they've changed them from the older woofers to be softer, lower Fs's, smaller boxes somewhat, etc. The HDX3 series all have Fs's in the mid-high 20's.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...