Daisychain Remote wires on amps? possible?

I agree with with adding a relay I have seen people kill the remote lead on their head unit trying to pull too much power through it (I. E. running multiple amps off of one lead) not saying I haven't done it in a pinch but I do not recommend at the very least go to your fuse box or a another switched ignition source and pull the extra wires from there not the proper way either but a little better than daisy chaining multiple amps off of one remote lead but like I said I've done it before with no consequences but three amps is a lot

I agree with with adding a relay I have seen people kill the remote lead on their head unit trying to pull too much power through it (I. E. running multiple amps off of one lead) not saying I haven't done it in a pinch but I do not recommend at the very least go to your fuse box or a another switched ignition source and pull the extra wires from there not the proper way either but a little better than daisy chaining multiple amps off of one remote lead but like I said I've done it before with no consequences but three amps is a lot
so what is the most proper way?

The right way is to do a relay, like already said. Your head unit might give out the specs, but the two I have had that had it listed, both said to run no more than 500mv off the remote wire. I have only seen the specs for one amp, and it said it was pulling 400mv. I have a real small fan that is listed at 110mv. The warnings will tell you that you can burn up your head unit, by pulling too much through the wire.

A standard relay will cost about $5, and give you enough voltage for up to 30 amps.

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#rtol

Many people will tell you that you will be fine, and that they have daisy-chained it before; but using a relay is the CORRECT way to do it. (Ask them if they will buy you new equipment if it doesn't work).

If you are dead set on daisy chaining it, lets be clear since someone already said to run all the amps off of one input. That would be the worst way to do it, and is also NOT daisy-chaining. If you are going to do it, you would want to run your remote wire off the head unit to your amps remote wire input. Then run your second amp's remote wire input off the main power wire going to the first amp, then your third amps remote wire input going to the main power connector of the second amp. Its not the best way, and your amps would turn on in order. If there is any problem with the first one getting power, none of your amps would work, or whatever down the line.

Now, in theory, you would then be pulling the same current at each remote in, as if you had run a relay.

If you are dead set on daisy chaining it, lets be clear since someone already said to run all the amps off of one input. That would be the worst way to do it, and is also NOT daisy-chaining. If you are going to do it, you would want to run your remote wire off the head unit to your amps remote wire input. Then run your second amp's remote wire input off the main power wire going to the first amp, then your third amps remote wire input going to the main power connector of the second amp. Its not the best way, and your amps would turn on in order. If there is any problem with the first one getting power, none of your amps would work, or whatever down the line.

Now, in theory, you would then be pulling the same current at each remote in, as if you had run a relay.
If second amp remote is connected to first amp main power, second amp will stay on. Main power is constant 12v.

As stated above if you ran your remote wire for any additional amps off of the main amps 12 volt input those amps would not turn off when the amp shuts off it does not shut off the 12 volt input wire the only right way to do it is add a relay that will keep all amps remote signal the same and yes it can affect how the amp preforms and yes it can and most likely will smoke your head unit at least the remote turn on lead the best way I found to get around it in instances where people refuse to buy a relay was to find another switched ignition 12 volt source such as taking a multimeter in finding a fuse in the fuse box that shuts on and off with the key but that is not the right way to do it especially when a relay is only $5 and super easy to install you can also buy a piece that plugs into the relay that gives you wire leads already sticking out so you don't have to put Spade connectors on yourself sorry if that's a little confusing or not worded right slept in a little bit today and my brain is not fully awake yet

A switch also works. Get a lighted one so it reminds you to turn it off. I'm gonna install one at the back of my center console. Get power from my d block and ground the switch using an amp ground location.

Another option (for suvs anyway) is to use the 12v power plug in the rear. My Hondas power plugs are keyed on, so i used that when i had my factory head unit, and continue to use it even with my aftermarket hu. That power plug has a 10 amp fuse.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.