Daily SQL Setup Suggestions

Yinzer

CarAudio.com Newbie
PA
Hey guys! I’m looking to put a system in my Buick Rainer (same as a trailblazer). I’m looking for something that can hit crazy hard when I want to show off but at the same time sound extremely clean and hit the lows for daily. I started looking for 2 twelves but then started leaning towards one good 15 possibly. I can get a new DD3515 for $600 which is what I’m starting to lean towards but cant help myself to wonder if there are other subs that would better suit my needs. I looked through sundown audio stuff too but it seems like people favored DD3515s especially for the price I can get one for (I also like the look of them more). With box, amp, and sub/subs I’m looking to spend around $1000. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sundown X15 on a Taramps MD3k with a rear battery should be in your budget. That's what I did in my new car as I wanted to lean more towards SQ than SPL in it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys! So I started understanding the issue of need to do the big 3 possibly or other electronic upgrades to do the setups right I was thinking about and I’d like to avoid that if possible. Sorry for the original misguided noob question. Haha I have now started looking to do 2 12s with a sound digital 1600.1. I’ve been told SA12s is a great way to go and have read a lot about them and they seem to be a great sub for the power level I’d be able to work with. Any other options I should explore with the my power limitations? Thanks again guys!

Thanks for the responses guys! So I started understanding the issue of need to do the big 3 possibly or other electronic upgrades to do the setups right I was thinking about and I’d like to avoid that if possible. Sorry for the original misguided noob question. Haha I have now started looking to do 2 12s with a sound digital 1600.1. I’ve been told SA12s is a great way to go and have read a lot about them and they seem to be a great sub for the power level I’d be able to work with. Any other options I should explore with the my power limitations? The other one I saw that looked pretty impressive was a Cab Ultra but apon further research it appears it’s the same as a SA12?Thanks again guys!

Is your headunit aftermarket? A clean signal is on the checklist for good sq. Also are your mids and highs are factory, your sq May be shittay when you’ve got it cranked trying to compete with your substage.

Thanks for the responses guys! So I started understanding the issue of need to do the big 3 possibly or other electronic upgrades to do the setups right I was thinking about and I’d like to avoid that if possible. Sorry for the original misguided noob question. Haha I have now started looking to do 2 12s with a sound digital 1600.1. I’ve been told SA12s is a great way to go and have read a lot about them and they seem to be a great sub for the power level I’d be able to work with. Any other options I should explore with the my power limitations? Thanks again guys!
taramps md 1800.1 over the sound digital. Its a proven 2450 certified on the dyno amp.

I do already have an ax1000 Sony double din and I do plan on doing door speakers as well along with a smaller 4ch amp.

Thanks for the amp suggestion! I completely forgot about taramps! That’ll definitely save me some money compared to sound digital and it also appears to put out lore power!

If I do end up going with the SA12s what do you guys think about this box? I know most of you guys are into making them but I’m far from patient enough to do so haha.

Last but least any other woofers you’d recommend over SA12s for my power budget?

I do already have an ax1000 Sony double din and I do plan on doing door speakers as well along with a smaller 4ch amp.

Thanks for the amp suggestion! I completely forgot about taramps! That’ll definitely save me some money compared to sound digital and it also appears to put out lore power!

If I do end up going with the SA12s what do you guys think about this box? I know most of you guys are into making them but I’m far from patient enough to do so haha.

Last but least any other woofers you’d recommend over SA12s for my power budget?

no go on the box. The cubic feet measures out properly, double baffle and birch is good but the port area for the amount of power you are running will create a lot of noise and chuffle and limited output. You need A LOT more port area than three 3 inch aeros. if it was 4 inch aeros it would be enough.

It looks like he can request more port. They don't build the box (allegedly) until it is ordered. Maybe, they can just add another 3" port. Would that work?
the box is not deep enough because more port area means longer port to keep the same tuning. Any port elbow bends will reduce efficiency which defeats the purpose of an aero. Along with Multiple ports reduce efficiency, A single large port is always way more ideal than multiple small ports.

the box is not deep enough because more port area means longer port to keep the same tuning. Any port elbow bends will reduce efficiency which defeats the purpose of an aero. Along with Multiple ports reduce efficiency, A single large port is always way more ideal than multiple small ports.

Can you tell him the port that he needs? Then, he can request the change before the box is built.

So, ge should ask for 4" aero ports instead of 3"? Problem solved?

So, ge should ask for 4" aero ports instead of 3"? Problem solved?
you not getting it. The box has dimensions in length x width x depth. going to 4 inch aeros will increase overall port area which means it raises tuning of the box to 39hz unless you raise the length of the ports or increase box size. However if you make the port longer, the port length is going to be longer than how deep the box is so its pretty useless kuz its not gonna fit. If he wants to keep those dimensions he'll want to do a slot ported with a slightly larger box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.