D class full range with high frequency options

Participant count
  • Participants list

Otto Bevis

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello,
I'm new here and am trying to find a recommendation for an amp. Does anyone know if there is an inexpensive (sub $200, mini preferably) 2 channel D class full range amplifier that is able to go to atleast 25khz with a good SNR? Most of the ones I am seeing such as the Alpine 445 are rated to 20khz. I'm seeing Pioneer and Kenwood advertise their smallest D class amps above this but not sure how true these ratings are.

I brought a car with a pair of Focal 165V30 speakers installed and am trying to match an amp for these. Specs are a pair of mid bass and tweeters with crossovers. 80w RMS per channel at 4 ohms. I won't be using a head unit, instead connecting my phone using a 3.5mm jack to a volume rotary knob, outputting to RCA jacks. The car has a very weak charging system, a 25amp generator, hence leaning towards a D class amp (although if there is a efficient A/B I would go with this). I'm not looking for high output, just a bit more than what a head unit would produce, but I don't want to use a head unit as space is limited and the DAC on my phone is pretty good. Another option if it exists would be an equalizer or bass/treble control with small built in amp, although there don't appear to be many models like this.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Hello,
I'm new here and am trying to find a recommendation for an amp. Does anyone know if there is an inexpensive (sub $200, mini preferably) 2 channel D class full range amplifier that is able to go to atleast 25khz with a good SNR? Most of the ones I am seeing such as the Alpine 445 are rated to 20khz. I'm seeing Pioneer and Kenwood advertise their smallest D class amps above this but not sure how true these ratings are.

I brought a car with a pair of Focal 165V30 speakers installed and am trying to match an amp for these. Specs are a pair of mid bass and tweeters with crossovers. 80w RMS per channel at 4 ohms. I won't be using a head unit, instead connecting my phone using a 3.5mm jack to a volume rotary knob, outputting to RCA jacks. The car has a very weak charging system, a 25amp generator, hence leaning towards a D class amp (although if there is a efficient A/B I would go with this). I'm not looking for high output, just a bit more than what a head unit would produce, but I don't want to use a head unit as space is limited and the DAC on my phone is pretty good. Another option if it exists would be an equalizer or bass/treble control with small built in amp, although there don't appear to be many models like this.

Thank you for any suggestions.

You are looking for DSP amps aka EQ, crossovers, etc, this amp actually fits your criteria pretty well even power wise with a 25 amp fuse. Your goal of hitting 25khz is a moot point and pretty much at snake oil level. The stats that matter is clean power with low thd, good output filtering, efficiency etc... The things that actually matter in a car audio install is the install itself acoustical treatments, positioning, proper seals, along with the actual tune to even out frequency response and build proper sound stage and stereo separation. Whatever knowledge you have from the headphone and home audio world needs to be thrown out the window when you come into the car audio world. The listening environment is more chaotic with reflections and noise and phase issues along with electrical noise from DC power and road noise when you are on the highway as well. Other factors matter a lot more than the amps frequency response since you wont even come close to ascertaining anything past 15khz while driving and an amp rated to play higher wont have any actual real world benefits at all. In fact most amp companies lie on their specs and you have to rely on amp dynos like this to get actual proper ratings.

Last edited:
Popwarhomie: Right, I should have checked this out beforehand.

Jeffdachef: Thank you for taking the time to explain. I understand what your saying, forget the frequency ratings. I realize the measurements are not comparable between brands. I looked at amplifiers with DSP built in. I could only find a model from Pioneer ($190) and Kicker ($225) which are 4 channel and unfortunately cannot be bridged to 2 channels. The next least expensive is a Sony but that's $400.

I think I will look for a 2-channel D-class amp and pair it with a passive graphic equalizer (I already have crossovers although I won't have the ability to set the virtual distance of the speakers with a equalizer). I was leaning towards the Alpine 445 amp. Are there better sounding D-class 2-channel amps for mids and highs around the same price (>$200)?

Popwarhomie: Right, I should have checked this out beforehand.

Jeffdachef: Thank you for taking the time to explain. I understand what your saying, forget the frequency ratings. I realize the measurements are not comparable between brands. I looked at amplifiers with DSP built in. I could only find a model from Pioneer ($190) and Kicker ($225) which are 4 channel and unfortunately cannot be bridged to 2 channels. The next least expensive is a Sony but that's $400.

I think I will look for a 2-channel D-class amp and pair it with a passive graphic equalizer (I already have crossovers although I won't have the ability to set the virtual distance of the speakers with a equalizer). I was leaning towards the Alpine 445 amp. Are there better sounding D-class 2-channel amps for mids and highs around the same price (>$200)?
again, amps arent gonna give you the sound quality, you are focusing on the wrong aspects. Clean power, clean signal is all you need from an amplifier. That amp I listed in the video would do fine in your setup and have all the adjustments you need other than time alignment. did you even watch the video?

Hi Jeff, sorry I overlooked the video you attached (thought it was a pop-up ad). The Jensen looks perfect. I appreciate you posting the video.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.