Creative hookup for cell phone video

Participant count
  • Participant list
So, I recently bought a Pioneer AVH-X4500BT, thinking that based on their information, I could push my Android navigation to it. It turns out, that's not true. In fact, Android support is pretty much non-existent, despite the claim that you can "Get more from your Android-based smartphone with access to your music via Bluetooth and Pioneer-compatible applications directly from the Pioneer touchscreen interface." BT works fine, but that's about it.

Anyway, screw returning it. I'd rather get creative (plus it's a considerable jump in price to get one that I know for a fact will work with what I want). The only thing I really wanted to accomplish was being able to see my GPS stuff on the device, since I've heard really bad things about the AVIC-U250. This is where I'd love some feedback from you all. Here's what I'm thinking:

Galaxy Nexus -> MHL adapter -> HDMI to VGA adapter -> AUX input on HU

I should be able to power both the MHL and HDMI adapters off the USB port on the head unit itself, or otherwise tap into a 12V line and stick in a power supply for it.

I think that would successfully turn the HU into a dummy monitor for the phone, all while also maintaining audio throughput too. Has anyone else tried this? Obviously I'd still have to control it from the phone, but that's not really the big deal for me. My main concern is that I'm bending the limitations of video signal conversion with this daisy chain setup. Has anyone else done something similar to this, whether with this HU or some other one? Really, I suppose the issue has a lot less to do with the phone, and more with has anyone successfully connected an HDMI source to an analog input for display on their HU?

How did this turn out for you? I'm looking to take it a step further with a Note 3 with a HDMI out to a HDMI2AV converter to the Composite A/V input. And mixing in a Chromecast to really take it up a notch.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

TheQuicksilver

TheQuicksilver
United States
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
revelry