Could I build a highly efficient sub?

Kross6622
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
SCS, MI
Before i get thinking into this to much is it possible to build a sub that is extremely efficient compared to other subs.

My thoughts is for my next build to have a sub built.

My last setup was a 15" fully loaded BTL, and it was great. It sounded great, but it took 2500 watts, a big batt, and a big box to do it.

From what i know if you compared a BL to a BTL the btl would be louder on the same power do to efficiency.

So, heres my thought. Is it possible to get a big motor/efficient combine it with the right softparts and make it hit as low and as loud as like a BTL but instead of 2500 watts ~ 1000-1500 watts

I figure if i can drop it to that range the big battery wont be needed and neither would an amp that puts out 2500wrms and i could use that money to build a better sub.

If this is possible, id like some suggestions and from what i know a few people on here make great softparts.

How to get Loud on the Meter. - eCrack Forums
A highly efficient sub has to sacrifice moving mass and thus fs. The sub cannot play below fs very well. Due to this an efficient sub is not good for music and only for burps. That's why.
I read the article and I understand, how that is. But say if I took a motor which is stronger like a DD 99z and used diff softparts, so instead of throwing 8k watts I only give it say 1000 watts, could it be as loud or louder then say a BTL.

I know that the DD 99z can take alot of power, and I know sometimes big motors like that take alot of power before you get good results...

Basically if i can get similar output of my BTL at 2500 watts as far as hitting the lows, and SPL and can do it with less power then its worth doing.

Just build a really efficient box. A 4th order with a hugeeeeee ported chamber would do the trick.
I have a grand prix, not sure if its possible to even do a 4th order, dont they take a large box?

Im up for suggestions, this is just something that ive always wondered.

I read the article and I understand, how that is. But say if I took a motor which is stronger like a DD 99z and used diff softparts, so instead of throwing 8k watts I only give it say 1000 watts, could it be as loud or louder then say a BTL.
I know that the DD 99z can take alot of power, and I know sometimes big motors like that take alot of power before you get good results...

Basically if i can get similar output of my BTL at 2500 watts as far as hitting the lows, and SPL and can do it with less power then its worth doing.
Why would you use diff soft parts? DDz soft parts are not heavy beasts to bring fs down. In fact they are quite light. You're going to have a tough time getting soft parts that are lighter and still able to hold up under that pressure. A DDZ will be louder than a BTL, (greater output from less power) but I don't think you're going to build a sub that's better than a DDZ. You're probably wanting to play music though, so if I were you I wouldn't worry about it. Stick with your btl and just experiment with different boxes. Until you give up on playing music, you're probably not going to get much louder. What did your old setup meter?

Why would you use diff soft parts? DDz soft parts are not heavy beasts to bring fs down. In fact they are quite light. You're going to have a tough time getting soft parts that are lighter and still able to hold up under that pressure. A DDZ will be louder than a BTL, (greater output from less power) but I don't think you're going to build a sub that's better than a DDZ. You're probably wanting to play music though, so if I were you I wouldn't worry about it. Stick with your btl and just experiment with different boxes. Until you give up on playing music, you're probably not going to get much louder. What did your old setup meter?
Never got it metered. And i was just using the DDZ as an example.

So if I were to get a larger motor it would be more efficient. Ive always wanted try and build my own sub, and i figure instead of building a sub that takes ungodly amount of power, to build a sub which an perform as good as a BTL or equivalent but on less power. I plan on using this for music, so im not looking for a burp sub.

i guess i didnt realize how efficient the idmax was. I think that may be what your after. I think i may have just swayed my decision about running high power subs. I was going to get t2000's but thsi way i only need one amp instead of 2. not sure how much of a difference in output i would see though.

I can run 2 12" id maxes. off one of my amps and still 1000 watts of head room.

Exactly, so is it possible to get a big motor, build a sub with softer spiders so I can increase the BL and keep the fs low and since i have a larger motor require less power to achieve the same SPL?

Right now i got 2 12's in my car in a sealed box, i think my next project i either want 1 15 like i had with the BTL or have 2 - 12's but in bandpass or ported. Either way i think i want to build the subs for the fact I build them and I can make them how I want, etc...

I find the technical stuff about subwoofers more interesting then just the noise it produces. Thats why i want to build my own to get more hands on, and see if I talk to the right people and learn, etc what i am capable of doing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.