Correct way to set gain with DMM?

Heeltoeclutch
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I'm sorry I know this has been talked about many a time on here, but I've done some searching and can't find out exactly what I'm looking for and would like some confirmation (this is for my sub amp)

To set gain with a DMM set it to AC voltage, put the leads on the amp's speaker terminals you're using, use a 50 Hz tone (-1, 0?), and then use the equation P=V^2/R to find the power the amp is producing, correct? the R would be the impedance the sub is wired to, correct?

I've read both that you should and should not have the sub hooked up when setting gain. Don't some amps not like not having a load though? Which one is it?

Also, to tune it to match the RCA pre-out voltage, do you just adjust the gain til the AC reading from the DMM is 4V or 2V or whatever? that seems too simple.

Thanks guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Be a man and set it without a DMM
Lulz that's what I've always done. but i want to do things right and be safe...

Thanks bubba I bookmarked it as well - but that only tells you how to do it if you have the voltage chart for the given amp... Mine is 19 years old and I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. If I want to find power, is the forumula I mentioned above correct? and matching the rca out voltage was not mentioned... is this irrelevant at this point?

Says the kid with no car or system.
Ok first of all, i have my car.

And second of all, i have to pay for my loan every month for my car and the rising gas prices and i have to get a second job just to keep up with it all. I have to pay for everything and i cant afford car audio at the moment.

And second of all, i have to pay for my loan every month for my car and the rising gas prices and i have to get a second job just to keep up with it all. I have to pay for everything and i cant afford car audio at the moment.
then I commend you for keeping your priorities straight. and appreciate all the help you've given me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

...am I correct regarding the power equation business and all that?

then I commend you for keeping your priorities straight. and appreciate all the help you've given me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif...am I correct regarding the power equation business and all that?
I have not studied up on that yet so i do not know

Wait your 16 go to school and have two jobs? I call BS,your on this forum 24 hours a day,if you have a job or school you must do a horrible job.

I work a minimum wage job, drive a vehicle that I'm averaging 18mpg with gas at $4.00 a gallon. $100 cell phone bill, oh and not to mention the $1800 in probation fees I have to pay on every month. Its called growing up kid. I'm not even gonna start on my school loans, thats a whole 'nother animal.

Wait your 16 go to school and have two jobs? I call BS,your on this forum 24 hours a day,if you have a job or school you must do a horrible job.
Ok you cannot read. I said IM GETTING a second job. I only work on the weekends at the moment. And i go on the forum on my phone.

I work a minimum wage job, drive a vehicle that I'm averaging 18mpg with gas at $4.00 a gallon. $100 cell phone bill, oh and not to mention the $1800 in probation fees I have to pay on every month. Its called growing up kid. I'm not even gonna start on my school loans, thats a whole 'nother animal.
and your point is? That has nothing to do with me not having car audio

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.