correct ohm setup?

billy98sport
10+ year member

the bang of the small one
i have 2 r type 12s with dual 2 ohm voice coils, a friend told me that if i wire the vc's together or sumthing like that it puts out at a 1 ohm impedence and he says that will give me a higher continuous (RMS) handleing i dont know much about ohms but from what i do know if hes right about wiring them then it makes since, so my question is, with these subs will i need an amp that is 1 ohm stable or will a 2 ohm amp work just as good? i know that u dont wire and amp with higher ohms to a sub with lower ohms but does it really make them 1 ohm if i wire like he says?

i had your exact subs run them in parallel if your amp is not rated for 1 ohm your more than likely to blow it down the line hook up both subsfrom the amp using one voice coil and on the other coiljust run a wire from + to - and dont bridge ur amp if its not 1 ohm stablei would suggest getting a newer mono class d amp then your subs will slam with out worying about blowing them or ur amp right now im hearing nothing but good things about the new jbl series amps there mono amps there not as expensive but push out a good amount of power:evil:

ohh yeah each sub will be rinning at one ohm so if you put the two toghterit will run at 1/2 ohm which i dont know of an amp that can hold such a low ohm so i recomend getting a newer amp and wiring them in parrallel:cool:

i was thinking either a kicker 800.4, a jbl 600.1, or a visonik 1400 i think its mulichannel so i wouldnt have to bridge it and make it get lower than 1 ohm but i dont know if it is even stable at 1 ohm it might just b 2 ohm stable, if anyone knows please let me know otherwise im probably going to get the jbl unless it cant handle under 1 ohm, i know it can handle 1 but i dont know about 1/2, the kicker is my last choice cuz its expensive, does anyone know of a better deal/amp?

First, let's make sure everyone understands what an ohm is. An ohm is a unit of measure that measures resistance to current. So a speaker doesn't "run" at any ohm. It puts a load on the amplifier. So, a speaker puts a certain amout of resistance or load on an amplifier.

Second, good luck finding an amplifier that really is 1 ohm stable. There aren't very many. Then to make a long story short, when you make an amp run at 1 ohm, sound quality diminshes a little bit. I highly recommend you keep most amps at a 2 ohm load or higher.

Third, when you wire up your four voice coils you can end up with a final load of either 1/2, 2, or 8. That's it. I can teach you the math later. An amplifier has no idea how many speakers you have. It doesn't care either. What it does care about is the load that the speakers put on it. So on a one channel amplifier, those are the loads you will present to the amplifier.............. With a two channel amplifier, you should bridge the amplifier. When you do this, each rail (channel) basically "shares" the load. That means the load presented to the amplifier will be half of what the speakers load is. One example that illistrates this would be an amplifier that is stable to 2 ohm stereo or 4 ohm mono (bridged). Because when it's bridged, the (rails) channels "share" the load. So, for the speakers that you have, I wouldn't recommend a 2 channel amplifier.

Fourth, this is recommendation is my opinion...... If you don't share it. I don't care. I know that a one ohm stable amplifier (2 channel) would be great for this system.

I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that Rockford does not make a 1 ohm stable amp. Pretty sure JBL doesn't, and I don't have much experience with kicker. However, your money would be very well spent if you picked up an XTANT 1001. That somama***** puts out a very, very impressive 1000 watts and 1 ohm. And, it'll do it all day long. But, at a dollar a watt it's a bit expensive. I recommend you sell one of your testes, you only need one.

Want to go one ohm stable or even half an ohm stable? GO with an Orion HCCA amp. I have ran them for years and have run them even at half an ohm rockin and knockin more hardcore off of a 50watt (rms rated) amp then most people I have seen with 1000plus watt amps AND I have done it all at half and one ohm. Check em out if you are going serious sound and want to be stable on a low resistance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.