Cooler sound system.

Pyrofan

CarAudio.com Elite
Ga
Hey guys, been a minute since I have posted but Ive been doing installs for people. Now my school has a recognized me so they want the '' Ultimate Tailgating Sound System" ( their words not mine).

So I did some googling and found a few ideas. Im not sure if I want to stick with a cooler as a body or just build a body. What should go in this? I plan on running it off a phone so just need the headphone jack. I was thinking 4 6x9 speakers and 1 10in sub. Nothing too crazy. Id love to throw 2 12's in their but others at the tailgate arent bass heads. Id like to say around $200. Not sure if thats possible.

i took apart a pair of home stereo 3 way speakers with 12" woofers donated from a friend - used all the parts - including crossovers

small agm battery ( kenetik 800 ) and a small 2 chan amp

added charge spots up top for a car battery charger to clamp to -to keep it charged - and a toggle on off switch wired to the remote turn on spot on the amp. amp and battery were built inside - next time i would build an axess pannel to them.. eventually i let a friend hold on to it - and they never re charged the battery and the battery went bad - but it would play for 2 hours at full volume before needing recharge. as a tail gate situation - one could simply add jumper cables from the under hood car battery to the charge spots on the unit to give a quick recharge...

it was amazing. hands down the loudest boom box ive ever heard.

i took apart a pair of home stereo 3 way speakers with 12" woofers donated from a friend - used all the parts - including crossovers

small agm battery ( kenetik 800 ) and a small 2 chan amp

added charge spots up top for a car battery charger to clamp to -to keep it charged - and a toggle on off switch wired to the remote turn on spot on the amp. amp and battery were built inside - next time i would build an axess pannel to them.. eventually i let a friend hold on to it - and they never re charged the battery and it died

it was amazing. hands down the loudest boom box ive ever heard.
Nice! Thats the biggest thing, want it to be loud.

efficency is the key in portable stereo system. you dont want a ton of weight / batterys to run the thing.

car audio is mostly not as efficent as some home stereo gear can be

i think my box was getting roughly 75 watts per channel and was loud loud loud

efficency is the key in portable stereo system. you dont want a ton of weight / batterys to run the thing.car audio is mostly not as efficent as some home stereo gear can be

i think my box was getting roughly 75 watts per channel and was loud loud loud
even the sub?

Yeah brian84 is correct. In portable systems you want to gear your setup in the efficiency realm. You can't run crazy big amps or you'll drain the battery(s) in no time. If I was you, i'd just get a cooler and maybe 2/4 6x9's and a single sub. Run it all off a 4 channel amp (bridge two channels for the sub) and call it a day. I've actually thought of doing this, but unless you get bottom of the barrel gear and already have all the tools needed, it gets very expensive, very fast.

Yeah brian84 is correct. In portable systems you want to gear your setup in the efficiency realm. You can't run crazy big amps or you'll drain the battery(s) in no time. If I was you, i'd just get a cooler and maybe 2/4 6x9's and a single sub. Run it all off a 4 channel amp (bridge two channels for the sub) and call it a day. I've actually thought of doing this, but unless you get bottom of the barrel gear and already have all the tools needed, it gets very expensive, very fast.
I got all the tools needed. I just need help on the electronics. I was thinking 4 6x9's and 1 10 or 1 12. I want 1 12 for more bass and do a aero port. What sub, amp, and speaker yall recommend?

the problem with sub = loading.

to properly have a subwoofer sound and be loud - it has to couple with the environment around it....

if you go to the beach and just plop the cooler down in the sand and have the suboofer facing open nothing - its not going to reflect off anything - and sound pretty weak for a subwoofer.... i mean you will hear bass - but dont expect anything like in a car or home theater setup.... id guestimate that 40hz and up is a frequency response you can hope for good sound from in this type of portable speaker cabnet device.

in the box i built - i was just using the speakers already in the home stereo cabnets - that were designed to work together with crossovers - eazy and effective

see if you can search around for a set of home stereo speakers to canibalize for your project - i would imagine they offer the best results vs $ spent on this project.

I would get a swallow mount 10 they don't need much air space or much power but will still give good bass and I would also do 2 sets of comps with tweets and mid bass run them at 4 ohms along with the sub at 4 ohms bridge on a 4 ch that give roughly 400 watts 100 for each comps and 200 for the sub maybe even less and get a battery that would be small but still have a few hours of life or get a bat charger and hook that up somehow. Me higher the ohms the less load on the electrical I'm pretty sure I'm no expert tho.

I would get a swallow mount 10 they don't need much air space or much power but will still give good bass and I would also do 2 sets of comps with tweets and mid bass run them at 4 ohms along with the sub at 4 ohms bridge on a 4 ch that give roughly 400 watts 100 for each comps and 200 for the sub maybe even less and get a battery that would be small but still have a few hours of life or get a bat charger and hook that up somehow. Me higher the ohms the less load on the electrical I'm pretty sure I'm no expert tho.
Can you link to some within my budget? I know a decent amount about subs but very little about speakers.

So here is what im looking at.

Amp: http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PB618-4-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B004M9BH3O/ref=sr_1_54?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-54&keywords=1000+Watt+4+Channel+amp#cm_cr_dpwidget

I would use the 4x500watts but its doesnt have a ohm rating. Am I missing something? I would put a 500 watt sub on one channel, then speakers on the rest. Could I wire 2 speakers together and put them on the same channel? If so, I would 4 6x9 speakers on 2 channels and leave the last channel open for more down the road. I hope this make sense haha.

Pyramid is trash.
I am aware of this, I would use Sundown or AB but this is a cheap system. Not my personal daily setup. Its made to get loud for cheap so, I picked cheap gear. If Sundown or AB makes a amp within my budget and still allows money for all the other speakers and sub, then Ill buy it.

Pyramid is absolute garbage. Don't even waste your time. I would go as far as to consider it a safety hazard cause when that amp burns up it could start a fire.

Pyramid is absolute garbage. Don't even waste your time. I would go as far as to consider it a safety hazard cause when that amp burns up it could start a fire.
Gotcha, so what do you recommend?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.