Cool GM voltage regulator

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
Wish I had seen this before I bought my voltage regulators. For people who have older GM alternators and want to change their voltage set point, check these out. They're pretty cool!

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_90594_Mechman-Alternators-AVBMOVAL.html?nosto=productpage-nosto-1

avbmoval.jpg

avbmoval.jpg

99 bucks? dude I told you how to do it for 10 ? I made it for mine but after I while the adj pot burned out and I just diode in line with it and got a 4-6 volt gain and it worked fine until winter and then I worried 15.5 + was to high for taramps and swapped diode out for a fuse cuz I used a fuse holder to hold the gm diode and now it's getting warm again I will put it back in and go from low 14s to high 14 volts for summer. Works fine for me. But the adj one you linked could be handy to limit high charge rate Brazilians don't like ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99 bucks? dude I told you how to do it for 10 ? I made it for mine but after I while the adj pot burned out and I just diode in line with it and got a 4-6 volt gain and it worked fine until winter and then I worried 15.5 + was to high for taramps and swapped diode out for a fuse cuz I used a fuse holder to hold the gm diode and now it's getting warm again I will put it back in and go from low 14s to high 14 volts for summer. Works fine for me. But the adj one you linked could be handy to limit high charge rate Brazilians don't like ?

I don't want a set resistance with a diode. The weather changes a lot here, and I will need to change the resistance i add based on temperature in order to keep voltage where I want it. Plus, I will have to keep it the same for 3 alternators. Just using a potentiometer wired directly is a bad idea because it won't be able to dissipate the heat. The way I understand it, the blue boxes I have use an external potentiometer at a lower voltage/amperage to control the load put on the circuit inside the box, which has plenty of heat sink.

The inline mechman units don't have heat sink, but if you had issues, they should warranty it if it breaks.

Not that i know how but couldn't someone build like a small raspberry pi tied to a thermometer and write a small program that basically says. When temp is ____, put out ___ amperag/voltage

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Not that i know how but couldn't someone build like a small raspberry pi tied to a thermometer and write a small program that basically says. When temp is ____, put out ___ amperag/voltage
probably, i have my doubts about its long term reliability and ease of set up for the average user though. might be more costly to prep it properly on that route but itd be cool as a proof of concept

That would be cool, but would be a lot of work and it's easy to just look at your voltage meter and turn the external regulator knob until you're happy. Also, I plan to run around 15v normally, and closer to 16 when at shows and giving demo's. So, I'd still want to be able to adjust on the fly for different situations.

I agree if you can buy the external reg for 99 bucks that's really the way to go as the pots tend to burn out pretty fast atleast the way I did it.

Blue box for external regulators cost $90 brand new. Mis well just order the correct alts with the correct regulator then buy that mechman crap for $100
It's not a matter of getting the "correct regulator" for me. Temperature change moves voltage here about .5v. Being close to amp/cap limits and not wanting to go over, I think external regulation is the right option for me.

It's not a matter of getting the "correct regulator" for me. Temperature change moves voltage here about .5v. Being close to amp/cap limits and not wanting to go over, I think external regulation is the right option for me.
i fluctuate about .7v here in florida on hot days. about .4v on cold days

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.