Contemplating...give me some advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

spoonraker
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Lincoln, NE
Well I don't really have the money to get a nice SQ setup, and I've basically got everything setup for SPL right now inadvertantly, so I'm trying to decide what I should do.

I've got a Cadence ZRS-9 Amplifier, 1000W@2Ohm, 2000@1Ohm. The other speakers are just mid range sony's powered by a mid range sony amp, nothing special. I have an Audiobahn Eternal sub 12'' DVC 4 Ohm which I'm running 1000W to at 2Ohms.

Basically...it's not that great right now. It gets decently loud, but nothing crazy, but my car has so many rattles that I can't tune anything for SQ.

I'm also running a CarPC...

What I'm thinking of is selling my Audiobahn, I think I can actually get about $170 for it and the box, and buying a Kicker '06 S15L7 and putting it in a big ported box.

Ok now to the questions....

I know the S15L7 is rated at 1000W RMS, but I routinely here people talking about taking L7's way beyond their ratings with no problems. Should I buy the 4 Ohm version and give it 1000 RMS or could it hold up to 2000 RMS with the 2 Ohm version?

Or if you think it's possible to decent SQ how would I go about doing this? My car rattles a ton, especially the rearview mirror. I've been thinking now for a long time I need to take it apart and fix that rattle, but there is all kinds of other shaking going on. Would deadening fix this, or would it not really do much since most of it is wiring bouncing around and such? How much does a decent deadening job cost on average? It's a mid size 4-door sedan so it's not a small car.

I'm really leaning towards getting the 4 Ohm Kicker 15L7 in a ported box just for sheer loudness. If I want SQ for a song that doesn't need a ton of bass I can just turn down the sub volume lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm assuming you're talking about the 2Ohm L7?

If so, do you have anything that can confirm this? Whatever I buy is going to be used daily, keep in mind.

If you are going for SQ your mids come first. Upgrade those nasty sony's to Rainbow SLC's... then buy a used 100x2 amp that is nicer than the sony. The sub only contributes so much to SQ. Plus your mid/tweets aren't going to rattle much, other than the door panels which can be fixed with a little RAAmat or some Damplifier

I'm not really going for SQ or SPL. I'm still trying to decide.

The reason I'm leaning towards SPL right now is because I've got such a horrible amount of rattling and not very good equipment, it would take a ton of money to get good SQ, but for a louder system I could just drop in a new sub in a big ported box and actually use my 2000W amp to it's full potential, fold the seats down and fire it forward, and I'de probably easily get a ton louder than I am now.

Plus right now my SQ isn't that bad, I just either have to turn the volume way down or way up to either eliminate, or cover up the rattling lol. I'm actually surprised how well my Sony's sound. The only reason they sound decent is because I have a really nice soundcard on my carPC that is feeding them their signal.

if you fire it forward, you have to seal it off from the rest of the trunk. that will eliminate alot of rattling itself. i would do that, cure all the rest of the rattling in the car with deadener, and upgrade to some real speakers and get more juice. like acidic said, the SLC's are a great choice, i love mine.

Seems like you people are recommending I look into deadening, which I plan on doing, I just really don't want to start another big project that would involve tearing up my car right now. I just, and I mean just finished my carpc, and it's about 30 degrees outside right now. It's supposed to start snowing pretty soon, and winter will be upon me. So maybe dampening will have to wait until next summer.

As for the new sub, I'm not sure I would fire it forward, that was just a thought. I had a Kicker 12'' L7 that blew out only getting about 500W, firing to the rear in a ported box that was pretty darn loud. I can only imagine a 15'' L7 in a better designed, larger ported box given 1000W would be louder.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.