Construction Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Devil Tiger
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm building a new box (designed by RAM Designs) tomorrow and had some questions.

1. What's the best thing to seal the seams with on the inside?

2. How do I secure the 2nd layer of MDF to the first layer on the top (where the drivers mount)?

3. What's the best way to route cables to the inside of the box (drill a hole run wire through, terminal, etc.)?

4. Where do I start (my design has all the internal bracing and walls sandwiched between the top and bottom)?

Any tips for a first time enclosure builder would help. I took two years wood shop in high school about 5 years ago so I can use basic shop tools and equipment.

I'm building a new box (designed by RAM Designs) tomorrow and had some questions.
1. What's the best thing to seal the seams with on the inside?

2. How do I secure the 2nd layer of MDF to the first layer on the top (where the drivers mount)?

3. What's the best way to route cables to the inside of the box (drill a hole run wire through, terminal, etc.)?

4. Where do I start (my design has all the internal bracing and walls sandwiched between the top and bottom)?

Any tips for a first time enclosure builder would help. I took two years wood shop in high school about 5 years ago so I can use basic shop tools and equipment.
1. PL polyurethane adhesive (comes in a caulking tube at Lowes) don't get it on your hands...it won't come off for a week

2. I use titebond 2 or 3 and a couple short screws (make sure they're out of the way of seams and the subs)

3. I drill a hole, run the wire through, then seal it with the PL poluruethane

4. I usually start with a parts list (dunno if RAM gave you one) but I like to cut everything at once, then start gluing. cutting the bracing later might not be a bad idea so you can make sure it fits.

I normally start off making a U shape out of the back/sides, and then glue/screw that to what will be the bottom of the box. Just depends on the layout of the box though. Sometimes I'll do everything that's vertical and then glue/screw to the bottom and then top.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.