Component Wiring?

Participant count
  • Participant list

gwoutrider

Just called JL Audio and they said that the XR-650CS presents a 4 ohm load to the amp. This makes no sense since the 6.5" Midbass is 4 Ohm and the tweeter is 8 ohm according to thier specs. Umm, assuming they are wired in parallel inside the supplied 2 way crossover, wouldn't that be a 2.6 Ohm load?

What I am trying to do is run a decent set of components at a 2 ohm load since my amp is only 4x50 into 4 ohms. The guy from JL Audio said that you cannot simply wire a single channel to biamp the component set since this would send midrange frequencies to the tweeter. That sounds like series wiring to me.

Would it just be better to skip the supplied crossovers altogether and run a 4 Ohm Midbass with a 4 Ohm Tweeter using active crossover to filter lows and passive ones to filter highs on the midbass and mids on the tweeters? That is what I am doing now but I have cheap mids and I want to upgrade just them.

The passive crossover does the impedance compensation. It's not like you'll have an 8 ohm driver and a 4 ohm driver in parallel. If the specs are a final 4 ohm load, then that's what the set presents when hooked up via the passive x-over.

~HH

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.