Complete car audio noob.. Need some advice

Rosss1990

To start off I drive a 99 dodge intrepid, that's well, a piece of junk. I would like to have a decent audio system in it though, as I drive a lot and listen to music while driving.

Currently everything is stock and I use a cassette adapter with my iPod and it just doesn't sound very great.

I wouldn't like to exceed $750 and I'm just looking for sub, amp, deck(cd/aux/usb for the iPod) front and rear speakers. I don't really want anything over the top lol

Anyway was looking at best buy and got a little overwhelmed by what I should get, it's a lot for someone who really doesn't know what they are doing.. Same with installation.. Any advice would be very appreciated!

Step one. Forget about Best Buy. I just started working there and I can't tell you how disgusted I am when looking at their selection, product prices, and installation prices.

Step 2: Do research. You need to read a lot before dropping a penny on equipment. There are many ways to reach certain goals so it's nice when you've done enough research to understand the way equipment works and can then ask for opinions/clarification, rather than saying you have $750 and nothing else to use as a basis for helping you.

On a budget, definitely check out our classifieds section here. If buying new, check out Kenwood/JVC for a head unit, Audioque/MB Quart for amps, Audioque/Skar/Sundown for subs, Knukonceptz for wiring.

Head Unit: Kenwood KDC-MP445U

Speakers:

Front 6.5": Polk Audio db651

Rear 6x9": Polk Audio db691

Amp: Hifonics Zeus ZXi80.4

Subwoofer:

Sub: (x1) RE Audio SEX12D4

Amp: Kicker ZX500.1

Lookin at about 700 for all of that.

Not saying this is what you should go with, just showing you waht all you can do with 700 dollars.

You're not gonna blow the doors off, but expect to pay $100 or less for an okay pair of door speakers.

you won't get a good amp for less than 200, and you'll be better off getting one good subwoofer for around 150-200, than two entry level subs >$100 (that was my mistake)

Kenwood, pioneer, JVC, all good HUs

Are you looking for sound quality or loud? Do you use your trunk or is it pretty much open and can be used for a large enclosure? Are you going to build your own box or buy one? Do you want to amp the front speakers or are you wanting to run them off the head unit?

To build on what bunny said, there should be no question when it comes enclosures, always build your own, they're cheaper, and honestly they're not that hard.

There are tons of articles about how to build and tune them properly, or just make a thread and ask about them here.

Once you've got a decent system in, with a good sub, you're guaranteed to want more. So, instead of one 12" you're gonna want two (that's why you should buy one good sub, so you can get more of the same without having to start from scratch). Once you get 2 12" subs in your trunk, you might have a hard time hearing your highs, so go ahead and amp your door speakers so you don't have to down the road.

$750 is a pretty decent starting budget. This is all going to depend on what you're looking to get out of your system though. Do you just want a little bump but mostly going for sound quality? Are you just trying to be obnoxiously loud? Do you feel comfortable at installing things yourself? Just ask yourself the basics and see what you're trying to accomplish by this and then do some research based on that.

Are you looking for sound quality or loud? Do you use your trunk or is it pretty much open and can be used for a large enclosure? Are you going to build your own box or buy one? Do you want to amp the front speakers or are you wanting to run them off the head unit?
The trunk is pretty much open, right now there is just a thing of anti-freeze in it and thats about all I ever have in it, lol.. I would definitely say I'm looking for sound quality over loudness..

The reason I mention bestbuy is just because it seems like the less painful rout, I buy the speakers, amp, sub right there and not go through a bunch of shady websites but I do realize they rip you off..

My major concern is installation of the amp, I think I can handle the speakers and other stuff.

So lets say I get a 12" sub, 6x9's in the back and 6.5's in the doors. Should I power all the speakers from the amp, just the sub and 6x9's or even just the sub? All this really confuses me

As far as building my own box, I kind of lack most power tools with the exception of a drill and miter saw lol.

I definitely understand all of the price/quality concerns about going to the big stores but I don't really want to go really out of the way for a car that could possibly break down next week, I'm I making the situation more complex than it really is?

H/U: Kenwood KDC-x595 $170.00 shipped with everything needed for install

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X595 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Front Component Speakers: PG RSD 6.5" Components: $99 shipped:

PHOENIX GOLD RSD65CS 6.5" Component Speakers FREE SHIP - eBay (item 110568409054 end time Feb-28-11 14:42:57 PST)

Subwoofer: Image Dymanic Q 12" $170 shipped: WoofersEtc.com - IDQ12V2.D4 - Image Dynamics 12" IDQ Dual 4 Ohm Subwoofer

Wire: 4 ga. 4 channel wire kit $68 + ~10 shipping: 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit

That's about $520, that leaves $230 for an amp if you build the box

Amp install is easy. Find a grommet under the hood, run the power wire from battery to amp. Run RCA and remote wire from HU to amp, find bolt close to amp, scrape clean and use for ground. Of course there are more step than that but running the wires is the hardest part in my opinion. No need to amp the 6x9's. Amp the front if anything, but that is not a necessity, just gives them more power and makes them sound better, but anything sounds better than the stockers. you really don't need to run rear speakers. Get opinions on different subs, there are some that are cheaper. Look in the classified section for deals.

if you arent looking for anything crazy but good at a great price definitely learn a lot but i honestly wouldnt buy a single thing new other than maybe wiring. buy on here or craigslist or ebay. i have found amazing things on craigslist and paid 20% or less than what they are worth even as used items.

But you would need a d2 subwoofer:

And that would work with everything else you suggested? Could you also suggest a "d2" sub? And all these sites are safe??

and(lol) how would I connect all that stuff, 2 channels to the front speakers, 2 to the sub?

All the sites listed are safe. The "shadiest" of those is ebay and even then you're fine as long as you make sure the seller has a good feedback rating. And yes, two channels to the front and bridge the rear channels on the sub. You need a D2 sub so you can wire to 4 ohms. That is what most four channel amps are stable at while in bridged mode.

Alright well it will be another week before I can order the stuff but all that seems cool.. Still need a d2 sub(I have no idea what that means lol)

Might need advice with the install too, I have no idea what you mean by bridging the 2 channels for the sub lol, and after looking at the picture of the 2 front speakers I'm a bit confused on that installation as I noticed 2 box things and 2 smaller speakers connected to the others

Dual Voice Coils (D) 2 ohm resistance (2). When wired it will give you a resistance of either 1 ohm or 4 ohm total. Or you could look for a SVC 4 ohm subwoofer. One sec and I will post up some D2 subwoofers. The IDQ V.2 at that price is impossible to find. Might need a different subwoofer suggestion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.