Competitors: How many amps for a power supply do I need for "engine off" playing?

bikinpunk
10+ year member

G-g-g-g-g-unity!
Alabama
I'm looking to start competing in MECA this year so I need a good power supply for my setup.

I have roughly 1600w rms on tap, but I'm not sure how much amperage the PS would need to be. I would think 80a would be sufficient, but not sure.

If I figure the (somewhat) standard 13.8v PS, ohm's gives me 115amps, but I just don't see this as that would be full tilt.

Thoughts? I know we have a lot of competitors here that use these so maybe they will chime in.

Also, my battery is getting pretty low. Do you suggest I buy a new batter, too, or will a power supply do fine? I don't mind dimming headlights while driving. I just need something that will keep me up and running while competing.

better battery up front and second in the rear will do fine for a mid play lvl for a good while.

At low volumes, then you'll be golden. Anything at high volumes will require a charger during a long period of time, unless your system only has 200 to 500 watts of power.

What do you need a power supply for? Are you trying to compete in SQ or something? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

If you run Amature classes, you'll need a good battery since you cannot run your engine when your in the lanes. All other competition classes let you run your engine while compeiting.

What do you need a power supply for? Are you trying to compete in SQ or something? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
I'm looking to start competing in MECA this year so I need a good power supply for my setup.

SQ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I need a power supply so that I don't have to depend on my battery.

I guess I still dont get why you think you need a power supply for SQ. Unless you have alot of electronics (ie:screens) and plan to leave your setup running all day, then I see no reason at all for this.

I know of about 6-7 MECA SQL competitiors that keep their setup charged at shows, but its usually to support a large amount of electronics running all day in a demo mode state, and not competing with it that way. For one, you cant compete with a charger on anyways let alone the induced noise that you REALLY dont want in a SQ setup anyways.

but I guess whatever floats your boat //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I guess I still dont get why you think you need a power supply for SQ. Unless you have alot of electronics (ie:screens) and plan to leave your setup running all day, then I see no reason at all for this.
I know of about 6-7 MECA SQL competitiors that keep their setup charged at shows, but its usually to support a large amount of electronics running all day in a demo mode state, and not competing with it that way. For one, you cant compete with a charger on anyways let alone the induced noise that you REALLY dont want in a SQ setup anyways.

but I guess whatever floats your boat //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
When I went to finals there were at least 4 guys I saw running power supplies. Throughout the 4-5 hours I was there almost every car I recall was "on". Maybe not running full tilt, but the engine wasn't on so they were going off battery power or the supply; one of the two.

My battery is weak and won't give me more than 15 minutes with engine off.

I'm all ears. If you really don't think I need one that's fine, but I'm going by what I saw in Nasvhille last fall and that's how it went there.

As for induced noise, out of every car I heard at the comp and at Kirk Proffit's house a few months before, all were running chargers for a couple hours and none had any induced noise.

If you decide to go the deep cycle route, hit up a D34 Yellowtop at your local Sam's Club for about 175 bucks if I remember correctly. It'll fit right in the stock spot, just gotta buy new battery tie-downs and then shave off the top of them to be able to close the hood. Of course I will take pics if needed, but it's at least a start.

For what its worth, judges are only allowed 5 minutes for judging your vehicle for SQ. So as long as your battery can at least take that, then you're fine. When SQ judging, the system doesnt exceed 85 db anyways, so thats really not much of an electrical strain. And if your subs are pulling enough current to slap the judge in the back then you're probably not going to get much of a score in the first place.

IMO just get a nice battery - a Kinetik, Powermaster, Optima, Stinger.....really any of those would be just fine.

And if you feel you need a power supply of some sort, id suggest getting an analog schulmacher 10/30/50 amp charger and use it for an hour or so before judging.

Snoop, thanks for your advice. After posting on DIY, too I came to the same results as well.

I think I'll hit up Sam's tomorrow (Lost, I was the one who posted on 8th about the cheap price there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif) and pick up an optima D34. I was going to go with a Stinger sp800 but I've not heard enough about them and I've had positive results with the Optima in the past so it's something I feel comforatable buying. After that I'll probably pick up a 35a PS.

Thanks again.

I am running all class a/b and during transients I draw around 140-150 amps tops. Music or movies are so dynamic that I get away with just a 25A battery charger I purchased at walmart for $80.00. It is a digital unit from black and decker. I am suprised it works so well! I have played movies & music at very high volume for over 8 hours and never had an issue.

Now if I was getto blasting lots of rap or bass heavy music all day then this would probably not work out so well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.