Clipping and SW level questions

Kohen36

CarAudio.com Regular
Alabama
I have some questions about clipping. So I had my subs and everything installed by a local car audio place and they did an amazing job setting everything up but one thing I’m confused about is my SW level is set to negative 20 and I have also seen my clip light go off a few times when it gets pretty loud but i feel it should def be able to play louder before clipping.I started turning down the SW level and once it go to near zero the subs started hitting very very hard at very low volume levels but it was way to much and maybe sounded bad for the subs when I did this but I’m not forsure. What should I set my SW level as most people have it set to zero?They also put warranty stickers over my gain and etc because I’m supposed to go in 2 weeks for a retune once they are broke in(my subs are 2 XFL 10” with a Cab 22 amp)

I definitely want to make sure I’m not messing up subs so if someone could help me it be greatly appreciated. Also the shop apparently used a oscilloscope to make sure the sin waves were correct but I think there way have been a problem with the head unit sweating that we’re set.the loudness setting was on ,and the SW level was -20, the head unit was on a user custom preset which I made also my a year ago if they didn’t change it .I changed the user preset to a “smily face” which is supposed to sound the best and it did sound better and hit a lot harder but also sent off my clip light

Last edited:
The Flying V formation on an EQ will probably add some clipping. You’re turning the 2 left side channels up almost all the way, which are the subwoofer frequencies. Gains should be set with those flat. I would ask them when you go for your retune. It’s possible someone didn’t notice it was at -20 subwoofer level. I usually set mine with it at 0.

The Flying V formation on an EQ will probably add some clipping. You’re turning the 2 left side channels up almost all the way, which are the subwoofer frequencies. Gains should be set with those flat. I would ask them when you go for your retune. It’s possible someone didn’t notice it was at -20 subwoofer level. I usually set mine with it at 0.
Okay I’ll turn down those outside to back to normal thanks for the info man

Okay I’ll turn down those outside to back to normal thanks for the info man
You can use them, but the gains should be set to flat. If it sounds better you can turn them up, just be careful with the volume level. It will clip earlier the higher the EQ is turned up on those frequency channels.

Instead of using the EQ as much, maybe turn the SW level up to -18 or -17 until you can ask the shop about it. Be careful to listen for popping or distorting when you turn it up.

Hey I have another question, I have a video I will try to attach where it seems the subs are making a deep rattle almost but I’m not forsure if that really what it is as this is my first pair of subs. It only makes this sound when turned up a decent bit but on some songs it’s way more prevalent than other’s. Also i feel like my clip light is going off at volumes that it really shouldn’t be sometimes and wondering if it’s my amp or what (cab 22) Another thing is my truck has a gauge for a volt meter and only goes down when played tuned off never really when driving or on so I kinda doubt it’s electrical

In this video I am talking about the deep rattle there is a kinda louder restyle that can be heard for a couple seconds in the video and that is my rear window but the deep noise I think is the subs

Attachments

• IMG_1226.MOV
    19 MB
this video was before the retune but some songs will make the subs make the noise still
Check your enclosure for air leaks other than the port. You do have a ported Enclosure for that /those subs? Make sure you wired the sub/subs to the proper ohm load also.I had my 4 10s in my truck.. subs up ..ports up.. I kept hearing some pretty bad rattling on some lows.. Ended up being my Non-deadened roof rippling on low notes.Is that Enclosure 3/4" or 5/8"?? What sub/subs and what Enclosure ? Sealed or Tuned/Ported if so ... To what Htz and the size of enclosure

Check your enclosure for air leaks other than the port. You do have a ported Enclosure for that /those subs? Make sure you wired the sub/subs to the proper ohm load also.I had my 4 10s in my truck.. subs up ..ports up.. I kept hearing some pretty bad rattling on some lows.. Ended up being my Non-deadened roof rippling on low notes.Is that Enclosure 3/4" or 5/8"?? What sub/subs and what Enclosure ? Sealed or Tuned/Ported if so ... To what Htz and the size of enclosure
Look like XFL sub series to me

2 XFL 10”s with a custom built ported enclosure ported up 3cubic ft tuned to 35hz 3/4inch mdf

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...