Class G & H resemble Mb Quart's Class SQ ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

gstokes

FÜKENGRUVEN
Was captivated by MB Quart's term for their (new?) Class SQ circuitry..

Quoted from MB Quart's website:

"Similar to a Class A/B design, but, the Class SQ is specifically designed for the sound quality demands of the MB Quart enthusiast by adding just a small amount of biased current through all output transistors at all times. This means that the circuit is always on or passing current and dramatically reduces crosstalk noise and distortions."

----------------------

Now, here is the quote from Audioholics on Class G & H:

Another pair of designs engineered with an eye towards improved efficiency, technically speaking neither Class G nor Class H amplifiers are officially recognized. Instead, they are variations upon the theme of Class A/B, utilizing voltage rail switching and rail modulation respectively. In either case, under low demand conditions, the system utilizes a lower rail voltage than a comparably rated Class A/B amplifier, significantly reducing power consumption; as high power conditions arise, the system dynamically increases rail voltage (i.e. switches to the high voltage rail) to handle high amplitude transients.

So what’s the drawback here? In a word: cost. Original rail switching designs utilized bipolar transistors to control the output rails, increasing complexity and cost. These days, that is often reduced to an extent with the use of high current MOSFETs to select / vary the rails. Not only does the use of MOSFETs further improve efficiency and reduce heat, but fewer parts are required (usually one device per rail). In addition to the cost of rail switching / rail modulation itself, it’s also worth noting that some Class G amplifiers utilize more output devices than a typical Class A/B design. One pair of devices will act in typical A/B fashion, fed by the low voltage rails; meanwhile another pair is held in reserve to act as a voltage booster, only activated as the situation demands. At the end of the day, because of these additional costs you’ll usually only see Class G and H associated with high powered amplifiers where the increased efficiency makes it worthwhile. Compact designs may also leverage Class G / H topologies as opposed to Class A/B given that the ability to switch to a low power mode means they can get by with a slightly smaller heatsink.

Audio Amplifier Classes (A, A/B, D, G, and H): What are the Differences? | Audioholics

Do you see a connection between the MB Quarts class SQ and class G/H, i am not sure if there is resemblance so i wanted to get second third and fourth opinions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Based on what we can read here, Class SQ should be less efficient at all duty cycles compared to GH. It's interesting that you used the word "captivated", as MB Quart has some rather outlandish marketing speak on their web site. Be wary of a lot of flourishing descriptions without science to back up the stated claims. "Fluid FETs" is another MB Quart marketing department creation. If you like how their amplifiers sound, and I know you do, that's a good thing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.