Chuchero (Speaker Box)…WHAT AMP DO I USE???

Participant count
  • Participant list

KemaFA5

CarAudio.com Newbie
PA
So I plan on getting (2) 10’ 4 Ohm PRV Midrange Speakers, (2) 4’ PRV Bullet Tweeters, and the compression driver is a PRV 2’ exit 8 Ohm. I need help deciding what kind of amp and how many to drive those speakers. I do plan on wiring the mids in parallel to 2 ohms and wire the tweeters in series to 8 ohms and then wire them in parallel to the horn driver which 8 ohms and when wire together with the tweeters should get a 4 ohms reading. Any feedback or help is welcomed, Thank You!

The Mid Speakers are 650W (325W RMS) 4 Ohms

The Tweeters are 200W (100W RMS) 4 Ohms

The Driver is 200W (100W RMS) 8 Ohms

PS: Do I need en equalizer for each type of speaker? So for example do I need an eq for the subs, one for the mids, and one for the highs for a total of 3?

PS: Do I need en equalizer for each type of speaker? So for example do I need an eq for the subs, one for the mids, and one for the highs for a total of 3?
My suggestion-
You could get a 4 channel full bridge amplifier. Use the front channels for the mids and tweeters. Wire one tweeter parallel with one midrange. Put a Bass Blocker capacitor on the positive of the tweeter. Set the x-over to high pass @100Hz 12dB.
For the sub you bridge the rear channels. Set the x-over to 80Hz and 12dB.
Set gains and you should be fine.

So I plan on getting (2) 10’ 4 Ohm PRV Midrange Speakers, (2) 4’ PRV Bullet Tweeters, and the compression driver is a PRV 2’ exit 8 Ohm. I need help deciding what kind of amp and how many to drive those speakers. I do plan on wiring the mids in parallel to 2 ohms and wire the tweeters in series to 8 ohms and then wire them in parallel to the horn driver which 8 ohms and when wire together with the tweeters should get a 4 ohms reading. Any feedback or help is welcomed, Thank You!

My main concern would be what type of crossover do you plan to use? I guess you're willing to lose stereo sound on the midrange/midbass drivers? Do you really need bullet tweeters if you're going to use horn loaded compression drivers?

My main concern would be what type of crossover do you plan to use? I guess you're willing to lose stereo sound on the midrange/midbass drivers? Do you really need bullet tweeters if you're going to use horn loaded compression drivers?
Same brand as well. Either a PRV or Clarion crossover if that’s what you mean. The speaker box is setup for 2 Mid Speakers, 2 Tweeters and 1 Horn Driver. I’ve seen people started doing 2 Mids with 3 tweeters. Idk the difference but that’s the setup of the box.

Attachments

• 652B346D-317D-4FEB-B5D0-C7E1B32EDE2D.jpeg
    652B346D-317D-4FEB-B5D0-C7E1B32EDE2D.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 26
S
My suggestion-
You could get a 4 channel full bridge amplifier. Use the front channels for the mids and tweeters. Wire one tweeter parallel with one midrange. Put a Bass Blocker capacitor on the positive of the tweeter. Set the x-over to high pass @100Hz 12dB.
For the sub you bridge the rear channels. Set the x-over to 80Hz and 12dB.
Set gains and you should be fine.
So you’re saying I technically run everything on one amplifier?

you’re saying I technically run everything on one amplifier?
Yes. As Jimi77 stated, this method allows you to keep stereo imaging.
Hold up. Now that I see the box, my suggestion is wrong. I thought you mislabeled Woofer as Driver. Now that I see it, the horn driver is not needed. Those midranges play so wide that alot of users do not use tweeters. In this case you could use a 2 channel with just the Bass Blockers on the tweeters.

Last edited:
Same brand as well. Either a PRV or Clarion crossover if that’s what you mean. The speaker box is setup for 2 Mid Speakers, 2 Tweeters and 1 Horn Driver. I’ve seen people started doing 2 Mids with 3 tweeters. Idk the difference but that’s the setup of the box.
Passive crossover? How many channels? That's an odd box. Is this for a car audio system or for DJ duty?

Honestly with all the drivers so close together...I wouldn't think running in stereo would help with left/right separation anyways...

Agreed. I'm not sure what the application is - looks like a mobile DJ speaker.
So you usually see this type of thing with Hispanic people. I’m Dominican myself. The speaker box will be sitting in the back seat like a child so I don’t know if the fade option is really an issue for me as I’m not mounting the speakers on the car. I guess you can call it a mobile DJ Speaker 📦.

So you usually see this type of thing with Hispanic people. I’m Dominican myself. The speaker box will be sitting in the back seat like a child so I don’t know if the fade option is really an issue for me as I’m not mounting the speakers on the car. I guess you can call it a mobile DJ Speaker 📦.
I'd just wire it up to an 2 channel. I see no reason to wire the mids in parallel. The compression driver can be wired bridged.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...