Chevy Cobalt SS - not quick enough

MisterGrubbs
5,000+ posts

Kinda Old School
I'm going to be purchasing a Chevy Cobalt SS, the non supercharged for insurance reasons(and it's 3500 bucks cheaper lol)

The non supered SS gets 25 city 34 hwy, for a combined like 28-29 mpg, and I'd like to keep it over 25.

It has 170hp stock and although it'll scat pretty well, I need a little more

What Can I do to bump her up around 250, par se, without losing tons of MPG

Air Intake, Exhaust - what else? Chip, Cam, Headers, what?

Thanks for any advice

You will need to get the SC version to get any real gains. Even then, you can still get good gas mileage, just dont punch it all the time.

You will get better gas mileage w/ FI than you would if you were to beef it up N/A.

A cam really won't do anything, there isnt enough disp. to really gain THAT much extra airflow, and exhaust would help, but not much.

You would spend over 4000$ to get to what the SC version would be, if you were to do it NA.

x2 what marley said

and you'll be lucky if that car is pushing 160 to the ground, not bashing it at all because i think the cobalts are awesome cars (i hated the cavi's with a passion) but thats just the reality of it. i was looking at an SS myself, not to buy but just to look at. they look to be some very slick cars im happy to see GM is getting it back together

yea the new chevy vehicles **** quality wise let alone their longevity and abuse some people put on them, u have to baby a non modded new chevy. I also feel there over priced for what they are, but my girl took a look at them but what u considered doing to the cobalt should be pretty decent, change the heads and cam hopefully u should be pushin real close.

Spend around $4500 and turbo it, that engine will handle 14-16psi all day long and make a TON of power with some good tuning. the 2.2 ecotec with 15psi with a completely stock engine (bottom and top end) made around 280whp and pulls high 12s i belive. You should beable to get around 320whp out of the 2.4.

That's a hell of a turbo lol

I'm not all taht concerned about doing much to it right now, and I know it's not fast

But it looks decent(to me, anyways)

It's not an assload of slow, it'll go if I need to

It's my first new car

It gets great gas mileage

It's relatively cheap - it just turns out to look like a good all around buy to me

I'm going to get the burnt orange one, 2" lowering kit, a body kit, 18's, tint the windows, do my system, cold air intake and an exhaust and say to hell with it, start saving money towards my real project

My Cavalier :)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.