Changing out Subwoofers

Firewalker

CarAudio.com VIP
nowhere
I decided to finally switch out and build a decent box and go to a 12" subwoofer maybe even 2 depending on the price and size of box. So far I am looking at the NVX VCW124, HDS3.1 (but can't seem to find any online), American Bass XFL (also can't find them online). And of course I am open to offers, I am current running one Sundown SD3-10D2 in a sealed box and yeah it just isn't enough. So I am open to sealed or ported box this time. Unfortunately I can't find 1" MDF around here at all, Birch is a no go with the prices they want so 3/4" MDF.

So I am looking for help not only on subs to look at but also how to build the box as well. I have access to everything I need to build it but never done a proper box build myself since the 1990s so looking for all the help I can get.

Good to be back here again. Been busy constantly with medical stuff that I haven't gotten online much.

Vehicle is a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT and listen to classic rock, metal & some rap as well.

Also the am I am still using is the PPI 1000.1 with a MTX 704 4 Channel for the Rockford Fosgate 6x8s. Still haven't gotten around to changing those :(. Figured I would go subwoofer first now that I am back to driving after so long without being able to.

I am open to other subs as well in that 140-220 range as well.

Thanks in advance to those who help!

Last edited:
Is it this amp?

If so, that’s a dope amp. Two lower power handling 10’s in a ported will give you far better output Over current setup and you could give yourself room for additional output should you ever go bigger on that monoblock amp.

2 American bass xd 1044’s would be good or something similar

Last edited:
Yep that is the amp, decent amount of power from them. I bought mine new around 2014/15 and forgot about it till got my Explorer. I know a lot of the stuff out there puts them putting out more then what they are rated which is why I bought it as the price was right and the power was what I was looking for.

I thought about 2 10" subs as well which are a possibility. At this point I am open to just about anything a single 12" dual 12" if the power is there for now or dual 10" subs.

I did look at the SSA Demons and they look good. Also looked at the Ampere Audio-2.5 RVE 12". Both are right in the price range and RMS I am looking at. Along with the American Bass TNT 1244 which a pair of those would work as well

An Amp upgrade will be in the works in the next 2-3 months once I build the box. Most likely I will put it in the Explorer with that amp just for a little bit since I have some doctor appts coming up and I drive 50 miles one way so gotta have some tunes!

I am open to other subs as well in that 140-220 range as well.

So that's all in, or just for sub(s)? How much space do you have to sacrifice for this box? There's plenty of good 1000W subs out there and if space isn't an issue, why not get yourself into a decent 15 or 18", you should have room in an exploder to do a great big efficient box that would get decently loud.

15 or 18 is too big. I still want to have some room for groceries. I did a quick mock up on a ported for a pair VCW124s and that is the biggest I can go.

And I have everything else I just need to pick up a new sub/s. I can go that price range for each. If I go 2 I will just buy one this month and wait till next to get the 2nd one. I live on disability for life so I have to manage my $$$ as best as possible and after bills that is what I have to spend this month on a upgrade.

Good suggestions so far. Only change I would make is switch the american bass TNT out for the RX model (RX model better SQ, more suited for daily).
Knowing your relatively quick route to amp upgrade I would totally recommend the tnt’s. I’ve had two tnt 1044’s in ported enclosures in Toyota suv’s (one setup firing up and the other Firing to the back Hatch) and they pound While sounding great on clean power/signal. you can easily send them 800 watts rms Each, a proper enclosure is going to dictate the “sq”. They sound real responsive to alternative too. I like afi and similar music as much as I like dirty south rap (ugk type stuff)

Knowing your relatively quick route to amp upgrade I would totally recommend the tnt’s. I’ve had two tnt 1044’s in ported enclosures in Toyota suv’s (one setup firing up and the other Firing to the back Hatch) and they pound While sounding great on clean power/signal. you can easily send them 800 watts rms Each, a proper enclosure is going to dictate the “sq”. They sound real responsive to alternative too. I like afi and similar music as much as I like dirty south rap (ugk type stuff)
TNTs aren't bad but for slightly more money you get the same voice coil, slightly bigger magnet, higher efficency, and better soft parts. There's a reason why the RX and XR series are the favorite series of Bobs (owner of AB), there solid well balanced subs.

Last edited:
I already did the big 3 upgrade with bigger alt. I took a core alt here and had a local shop rebuild it up 240 over the stock 130 I used to have. Only thing I haven't done is to add an battery and I can do that very easy in the spot that my current sub and box sit in on the rear drivers side cargo net area.

I think your best option is 2- American Bass XD1044. I think those two subs in a good ported will give you exactly what you're looking for. Plus, they are hard to beat for the price.

TNTs aren't bad but for slightly more money you get the same voice coil, slightly bigger magnet, higher efficency, and better soft parts. There's a reason why the RX and XR series are the favorite series of Bobs (owner of AB), there solid well balanced subs.

Never thought I’d see the start of a rx vs tnt conversation. Like the same guys that insist the xr is better then the xfl. Environment, power, enclosure, tuning determine overall sq to a much greater extent then woofer specs
That are nearly identical plus some cone fiber glued on.

rx’s are out of stock And $175. Two tnt’s can be had for $225.

My penny pinching Self will pocket the $125 difference and take my ass back to 8 mile.

Never thought I’d see the start of a rx vs tnt conversation. Like the same guys that insist the xr is better then the xfl. Environment, power, enclosure, tuning determine overall sq to a much greater extent then woofer specs
That are nearly identical plus some cone fiber glued on.

My penny pinching Self will pocket the $125 difference and take my ass back to 8 mile.

Why doesn't anybody like the XD's. They always worked great for me. Great sub for the money.
Screenshot_20200805-211956_Samsung Internet.jpg

Never thought I’d see the start of a rx vs tnt conversation
Well you're literally on an internet forum that's discussion/topic is subwoofer options....... :rolleyes:

TC wants dual 12s and the amazon listing is dual 10s.

SSA store is the only authorized store that has both versions of the 12s in stock. The RXs are literally 5 more dollars

Last edited:
Actually I can beat that even more on eBay for the TNT's 105 with shipping each.

I think I am down to the SSA Demon's, the American Bass TNT's along with the XR series & the Soundqubed HDS 3.1 (if they ever come back that is)

At this point I am just torn on whether to go 2 10" or go 2 12" and which means buy the 2nd one next month which is fine. Gives me time to figure out the box with some help from you guys and hopefully shredder as well.

I really do appreciate all the help, input & time you guys have done. Every little bit helps me!

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.